O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexson also fits that description. That would be awful. Why not just give it to Salazar or Huff over those guys.

The problem is we will be facing the same dilemma in Nov & Dec 2009 because neither would be the 2010 solution to who will be playing 1B.

So we would just be kicking the can down the road.

I still think the O's should strongly consider signing Rocco Baldelli to play 1B next year. I see him as a John Olerud type player - someone who can hit for average and jack 15-25 homers.

This is a very intriguing idea. It would require the O's to take a couple of risks. Baldelli has never palyed first base and as we know he as that muscular fatigue problem.

The problem is we will be facing the same dilemma in Nov & Dec 2009 because neither would be the 2010 solution to who will be playing 1B.

So we would just be kicking the can down the road.

Possibly, but Salazar has a better chance of being the 2010 option than either of those guys. Unless you're talking about trading for a LT 1B, then I think Salazar is a good answer this year. Also, by 2010, or 2011, Snyder could be ready to play 1B in Baltimore.

The DH slot is wide open if Huff takes over first base.
If we were to sign him to DH or play 1B he'd have a full time role. Huff would have occupy either position that wasn't filled.

That's right. I got mixed up with Scott, sorry about that. Yes, Scott would be in left and Rocco at DH, with Reimold possibly platooning, and all three can rotate between LF, DH, and bench on the occasional night..

Baldelli is my firsy choice. I don't even know if he can play first base but I love the upside.

If this guy can be had and stay healthy he could end up being the best player on our roster. His upside is right with Markakis. Weiters potentially will be the best player in a couple of years but it may take some time for him to establish himself.

Correct. Baldelli is the type of high potential/low cost type of player that the O's should look at signing.

Not to mention his condition appears treatable.

His doctor at the Cleveland Clinic has since reviewed further and more sophisticated testing that indicates his condition is a less-severe and treatable channelopathy. With a modification of medicine Baldelli is currently taking and having good results from, he is optimistic about his health and his baseball career.

"It's definitely an encouraging development,'' Baldelli said this morning from his Rhode Island home. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less-severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis.''

The encouraging medical report should increase his appeal to teams, though there will still be some question as to how often he will be be able to play and whether he can be used more often in the field or primarily as a DH and pinch-hitter. The Rays have said they are open to bringing him back, but they apparently want to first address their quest to add a front-line hitter to their lineup and then see how and if Baldelli still fits.

DH might be the position for him...

Archived