O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

I personally think Crede would be a great signing. Put him at 3B and move Mora to first - this accomplishes 3 things at once. We improve our infield defense (because Crede + Mora are much better fielders than Mora + Huff), obtain another right-handed bat, and a healthy Joe Crede is a much better player than Oscar Salazar.

Anyway, Crede is injury-prone and surely he would be willing to take a one-year deal for something like $4 million - when he's healthy, he's more like a $7 or 8 million player (in 2006, FanGraphs even has him worth $15 million!). He is an underrated hitter and one of the best fielding 3B in baseball (last season his UZR/150 was in the region of Scott Rolen, Ryan Zimmerman, and Pedro Feliz). He's also only 31 years old...

I'm really warming to this. What are the odds that Crede stays healthy? And can Mora give us + defense at first? (And how much do we lose if Mora reverts to a .750 OPS at 1B as opposed to 3B?)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think Crede would be a great signing. Put him at 3B and move Mora to first - this accomplishes 3 things at once. We improve our infield defense (because Crede + Mora are much better fielders than Mora + Huff), obtain another right-handed bat, and a healthy Joe Crede is a much better player than Oscar Salazar.

Anyway, Crede is injury-prone and surely he would be willing to take a one-year deal for something like $4 million - when he's healthy, he's more like a $7 or 8 million player (in 2006, FanGraphs even has him worth $15 million!). He is an underrated hitter and one of the best fielding 3B in baseball (last season his UZR/150 was in the region of Scott Rolen, Ryan Zimmerman, and Pedro Feliz). He's also only 31 years old...

I'm really not sure about that. He's a very good fielder, no doubt, but his bat is much more atrocious than you're giving him credit for.

I also think he'll do better than 1/4. San Fran has been after him.

I'm really warming to this. What are the odds that Crede stays healthy? And can Mora give us + defense at first? (And how much do we lose if Mora reverts to a .750 OPS at 1B as opposed to 3B?)

The big problem, yeah, is that Mora would be one of the worst hitting 1B in baseball. I think, though, that considering he's historically been a very versatile player (IIRC he's played every outfield position except catcher) and he's around an average defender at 3B, he'd definitely be a plus defender at 1B. You could always platoon him with a lefty (we don't have one but I'm just saying hypothetically) to improve the hitting from 1B.

I think, though, that the FO doesn't want to move Mora or Huff, so they'll go after someone with a better bat than Crede, ignoring defense.

Would Crede cost our 2nd round pick???

I'm really not sure about that. He's a very good fielder, no doubt, but his bat is much more atrocious than you're giving him credit for.

I also think he'll do better than 1/4. San Fran has been after him.

His bat might be a little better than you think. Or at least has been. And healthy...I don't know. I'm intrigued. AndI like the value of the defense and the way it could help our pitchers.

The big problem, yeah, is that Mora would be one of the worst hitting 1B in baseball. I think, though, that considering he's historically been a very versatile player (IIRC he's played every outfield position except catcher) and he's around an average defender at 3B, he'd definitely be a plus defender at 1B. You could always platoon him with a lefty (we don't have one but I'm just saying hypothetically) to improve the hitting from 1B.

I think, though, that the FO doesn't want to move Mora or Huff, so they'll go after someone with a better bat than Crede, ignoring defense.

It really depends on how much regression he has. I mean, if he puts up an .800 OPS with plus defense...

You're right it won't happen But the reason I like the thought is because - even if Crede gets hurt, we just move Mora back to third, Huff to first...

How was Wiggington away from the launching pad in Houston???

Is Tropicana Field a launching pad? Wiggington has a 905 OPS there in 2006.

This is a guy that hits better at home then on the road. I appears that the same thing would happen in Camden Yards.

His bat might be a little better than you think. Or at least has been. And healthy...I don't know. I'm intrigued. AndI like the value of the defense and the way it could help our pitchers.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on the deal. If it's a reasonable one year thing I don't have a problem with it. But like I said, I think he will get more than he should (at least to come here, anyway).

It really depends on how much regression he has. I mean, if he puts up an .800 OPS with plus defense...

You're right it won't happen But the reason I like the thought is because - even if Crede gets hurt, we just move Mora back to third, Huff to first...

Yeah, that's true. We might also be able to flip Crede at the deadline (especially if we include a 2010 option in his deal).

IF Mora hits as well as he did last season and plays plus defense at 1B (that's a big if), his value would be somewhere between Adam LaRoche and Lyle Overbay all things considered - those guys aren't bad players, but it's still the bottom 20% or so of major league 1B.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on the deal. If it's a reasonable one year thing I don't have a problem with it. But like I said, I think he will get more than he should (at least to come here, anyway).

Yes. It only works as a 1-year deal at $4-5m. I wouldn't mind a second year vesting option (nothing wrong with having a back-up plus-defender for corner IF spots).

Archived