O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

Baldelli, Gomes, and Crede are guys that I'd like to get(not all 3). The first two have good potential and our still young, while Crede brings plus defense and a decent bat as has been discussed.

Of course I'd like Reimold/Montanez to get a lot of playing time as well.

Gomes is interesting to me. He has shown before that he has the potential to be an impact bat in 2005. His minor league numbers are very good, he fell out of favor in TB after his 2006 campaign in which he was injured and very mediocre. His 2007 was slightly better but his at bats were sporadic. Could be a good low risk/high upside guy.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not Salazar? If he can play 2B and 3B, he can play 1B, and I think he'd have a monster year.
This has me confused as well. He looked OK at 1B last season. Tiny sample size but he was a +2 at 1B.I can't imagine him as much worse than Huff. He's a good RH bat off the bench. And he doesn't cost much?:confused:

I think Salazar is viewed as more of a bench guy, he has a bit more flexibility.

I'd be just as fine with him offensively as with anyone we'll find cheap.

If we're looking for a RH 1B to be a platoon guy, won't he be a "bench guy" also?

If we're looking for a RH 1B to be a platoon guy, won't he be a "bench guy" also?
If they are looking for a RH 1B bat full time, it must be because they have little confidence in Huff's D. But that should rule out Sexson as well. The only one I can think of for full time 1B D is Mienciewicz.

Ifthey are looking for a RH 1B bat full time, it must be because they have little confidence in Huff's D. But that should rule out Sexson as well. The only one I can think odf for full time 1B D is Mienciewicz.

I'm really thinking the Crede to 3B, Mora to 1B, Huff at DH move is a low-priced winner. I've got to believe that Mora will be a good 1B, mostly because the things he struggles with (charging slow grounders and the occasional throwing error) will be heavily mitigated by playing 1B. And his hands and arm and range are more than adequate.

An .750 OPS and + defense out of him at first, a 100 OPS+ and ++ defense out of Crede at 3B would be a decent number of wins for the $$$.

Gomes is interesting to me. He has shown before that he has the potential to be an impact bat in 2005. His minor league numbers are very good, he fell out of favor in TB after his 2006 campaign in which he was injured and very mediocre. His 2007 was slightly better but his at bats were sporadic. Could be a good low risk/high upside guy.

Gomes will be 28 this year, has 1200 and some major league at bats, and a .784 OPS. Against righties he's a .220/.309/.428 hitter.

I think he's basically a platoon DH on a team with a short bench and Oscar Salazar (similar hitter, and better, more versatile fielder) already under contract. I'd take him on a minor league deal or a non-roster invite, but not much more than that.

If they are looking for a RH 1B bat full time, it must be because they have little confidence in Huff's D. But that should rule out Sexson as well. The only one I can think of for full time 1B D is Mienciewicz.

Mientkiewicz hits like a shortstop, so his defense is of little value outside of a different era when teams would carry a Dave Stapleton or Mike Squires.

Gomes will be 28 this year, has 1200 and some major league at bats, and a .784 OPS. Against righties he's a .220/.309/.428 hitter.

I think he's basically a platoon DH on a team with a short bench and Oscar Salazar (similar hitter, and better, more versatile fielder) already under contract. I'd take him on a minor league deal or a non-roster invite, but not much more than that.

Completely agree, but I don't think it will take much more than that to sign him.

Maybe AM should just let Huff play 1B then sign a rhight handed hitting DH....

Hello, Manny! :D

Just kidding, of course! I truly would like us to go after Butler from Kansas City. His minor league numbers seem to translate very well, he's only 23 and would certainly fit into the rebuilding plan.

Archived