O's looking for RH 1B

JTrea81

Small sample size fluke.

Over the past two years his minor league splits are .953 vs. lefties, .819 against righties.

Admittedly, I have a soft spot for those guys who have toiled in the minor league trenches and finally get a shot at the big leagues. So, I am rooting for Salazar to make the team--at the very least as a reserve.

Other than Dunn, few, if any of the names mentioned in this thread will, IMO, bring that much more to the RH 1B role than Salazar.

But Trembley (and perhaps the FO) doesn't trust Salazar's defense (or Huff's or Montanez's, for that matter):

He impressed manager Dave Trembley in spring training with his bat, and his recent performance suggests the club may give him an opportunity to win a reserve infield spot in spring training. "I know what I have to do, what I try to do," Salazar said. "Whatever they want me to do, I'll do." Trembley suggested Salazar is most adept at first base, but can also play third. But he was adamant that Salazar's position was "right-handed hitter." "He's a role player. And we have a predominance of left-handed bats," Trembley said. "It's nice to have a right-handed guy with a little (pop) in his bat."

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/182211

In the end, Salazar will have a tough time making the bench as Trembley will probably go with 13-man pitching staff (ugh).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe AM should just let Huff play 1B then sign a rhight handed hitting DH....

They must be really concerned about putting Huff out there all year. He's never played more than 50 or so games at first in a season. Maybe they

think if he's plays too much in the field that his hitting might suffer.:confused:

It could be that the answer just isn't there (anymore) this offseason. I agree the best options are young prospects but who is the team willing to trade to get them? Can we really get one in a Brian Roberts trade?

If the team really wants a legit defensive 1Bman who happens to be RH... it may be later that a real answer presents itself. It's looking more like Millar will be back for a 1-yr deal.

Can Luke Scott be trained as a 1Bman? Reason being, the team can have their RH hitter in Reimold.

It could be that the answer just isn't there (anymore) this offseason. I agree the best options are young prospects but who is the team willing to trade to get them? Can we really get one in a Brian Roberts trade?

If the team really wants a legit defensive 1Bman who happens to be RH... it may be later that a real answer presents itself. It's looking more like Millar will be back for a 1-yr deal.

Can Luke Scott be trained as a 1Bman? Reason being, the team can have their RH hitter in Reimold.

The whole point of this thread is that they clearly want a RIGHT-handed first baseman. This would sorta contradict their need. And even if you were to "train" him, you would be taking away a lot of his value in the event of a future trade.

I have to assume that what they want is a full-time RH hitter with power, right? Reimold is just that. Is Reimold capable of playing 1B then?

This team needs to make a decision: Scott or Reimold and trade the other for value.

Again, the FO gives the impression that they are not very high on Reimold. If they are trying to deal him away in any sort of package, moving him to 1B would lower his value, so we won't see that happening.

RH 1B bat is looking more and more like code for Millaaaaaah!!! The only other RH 1B FA's are Nomah, Sexson and Cairo. Although Cairo could be signed as the UTIF. Unless they trade for one of course.

Did you just call Miguel Cairo a First Baseman?

The earth just spun off it's axis. I need to sit down.

Cairo is a "first baseman" just like Chris Gomez was a "first baseman". Sure, he started 46 games at 1B last season for the Mariners - but that's only because that position was a black hole for them. Sexson stunk up the place and was pushed out mid-season, so to make up the at bats you had a revolving door of prospects (like Bryan Lahair), utility infielders (Jose Lopez + Cairo), and Vidro got a few games too. But simply put, Cairo's hitting sucks so much that he's not a realistic choice for 1B.

Personally if I had to pick 1 guy the Orioles FO will sign (not my preference, but rather their preference), it would be Ty Wigginton. He's the right age for us - 31 years old, young enough to give him 2 or even 3 years, but old enough that he won't want a huge long-term deal. Also, we can safely give him a 2 or 3 year deal because he can play multiple positions (everywhere except SS, CF, and C), and he's no slouch with the bat either. The worst case scenario for next season is like .270/.330/.450, and his upside is closer to .280/.350/.500. If he performs that well, or if we want to push through a prospect, he probably has enough value to earn a trade for some C+ prospect. I'd give him 2 yrs / $10 million to start with, although it might take more, I don't know.

Baldelli now should be tossed into the mix as he's been confirmed as a potential target. I saw an Olerud comparison as to what he could be like at 1B - An excellent glove with 20-25 HR power. However I don't think he'll have the OBP that Olerud had nor the patience. Still he'll hit for more power and have more speed. I think Derrek Lee would be a better comp...

Baldelli now should be tossed into the mix as he's been confirmed as a potential target. I saw an Olerud comparison as to what he could be like at 1B - An excellent glove with 20-25 HR power. However I don't think he'll have the OBP that Olerud had nor the patience. Still he'll hit for more power and have more speed. I think Derrek Lee would be a better comp...

If we're going free agent he's the guy. Let's see how creative the Warehouse is with making the pieced fit.

Archived