Did Adley Rutschman just have the greatest rookie season in Orioles' history?

Frobby

14 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I would probably say Cal but he's also my favorite player of all time. Gregg Olson won ROY too...

Yes, I should have mentioned that on my string of 11-30.  He had the same rWAR as Bunker (3.3) but I listed Bunker at 10 because he had the better fWAR.  I’ll edit the Olson entry now.  

• Upvote 1

Fun post!  Well done.

It's hard for me to look past that 28 HR for Cal's ROY year even if that OPS+ says otherwise.  Adley's 35 doubles drove that as much as his 13.8% BB% (vs. 7% for Cal in '82).  A big factor in favor Adley though is that he's the sun around which the rest of the hitters revolved.  Cal was in Eddie's orbit at that point in their careers.  Plus, the Lowenstein/Roenicke duo and the ghost of Ken Singleton OBP was still great compared to today's game.  In other words, I'm disregarding the R/RBI differences.

Every time I see Gregg Olson's name I smile...  Good times!  SV is an eye-candy stat that people like.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's hard for me to look past that 28 HR for Cal's ROY year even if that OPS+ says otherwise. 

Cal, counting stats and rate stats are three ingredients that can fuel some hot arguments among fans.

If one really wanted to make trouble at a future Fanfest where minority owner Cal is on a panel with Sig, ask a question like whether The Streak was a good idea.

• Haha 1

Some fun guys to remember from this list, Daniel Cabrera maybe most surprisingly. Being ignorant to how much Cal improved the defense I’d have to say Adley gets the nod.

As an aside, watching this game it occurs to me that Adley may very well be better in both phases than either JT or Maldonado as soon as next year.

I know Brooks Robinson's career got off to a sputtering start and he was sent back to the minors several times.  I'm not sure which year was considered to be Brooks' rookie season, and I doubt that he received any consideration at all for the Rookie of the Year award.

I don't know how to calculate WAR, fWAR, or rWAR.  Out of curiosity, can someone tell me what his rookie season numbers would have been in those three categories?

11 minutes ago, WillyM said:

I know Brooks Robinson's career got off to a sputtering start and he was sent back to the minors several times.  I'm not sure which year was considered to be Brooks' rookie season, and I doubt that he received any consideration at all for the Rookie of the Year award.

I don't know how to calculate WAR, fWAR, or rWAR.  Out of curiosity, can someone tell me what his rookie season numbers would have been in those three categories?

You are right about Brooks’ career having a sputtering start.  He debuted briefly at age 18 in 1955, got another cup of coffee in 1956 and exceeded rookie limits at age 20 in 1957. That year, he played in 50 games, bringing his career total to 71 games.   He was worth 0.4 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR that year.   

Brooks spent all of 1958 in the majors, but was demoted back to the minors for 42 games in the middle of 1959.   So he really wasn’t fully established as a major leaguer until 1960.  Despite being up and down for 5 years, he was still only 23 when he finally found his footing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1