Whatever happened to the Forkball?

Gurgi

I was playing around on Google and found this quote from Doug Thorburn, from something called the National Pitching Association:

Forkball = wider grip than a splitter.

I guess that is why it is much slower than a splitter.

Actually, I've read information that it actually prolongs careers when pitchers lose mph's on their fastball but I guess this is assuming you can avoid injury. Seems that it's difficult to throw which is probably another reason why you don't see it much. Roger Clemens uses it apparently, along with Nomo. Not too familiar with the pitch really but it sounds as though the bottom drops out in dramatic form. Definitely a strike out pitch I'm excited to see from Uehara.

Nice Source

Actually, I've read information that it actually prolongs careers when pitchers lose mph's on their fastball but I guess this is assuming you can avoid injury. Seems that it's difficult to throw which is probably another reason why you don't see it much. Roger Clemens uses it apparently, along with Nomo. Not too familiar with the pitch really but it sounds as though the bottom drops out in dramatic form. Definitely a strike out pitch I'm excited to see from Uehara.

Nice Source

When done right it is a beautiful thing to behold. Makes people look like fools. Lot of swinging at a ball in the dirt.

Archived