Orioles 2022 #10 Prospect Heston Kjerstad - RF

Tony-OH

I wasn't online and didn't see the vote, but am perfectly fine with Kjerstad at #10. That's especially true after his AFL season.

The glaring thing from the write-up is his hit tool. This is a guy who was drafted to hit, so a FV of 45 won't be good enough, IMO. Given the up and down nature of his season, I totally get that there's risk in his projection.

However, with the recent history in our player development, and factoring in his draft pedigree, I feel like 2023 could be a big jump forward for Kjerstad. I do worry about the Ks, but actually expect that hit tool to make a significant jump forward. Defensively, I see him as more likely to be a 1b/DH type mostly because of our other outfield options.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The glaring thing from the write-up is his hit tool. This is a guy who was drafted to hit, so a FV of 45 won't be good enough, IMO. Given the up and down nature of his season, I totally get that there's risk in his projection.

I was encouraged by this part of the write-up.     The spin and changeups part makes complete sense - cue classics like hitting a baseball the hardest thing in sports, hitting is timing, pitching is disrupting timing, etc.    The skill fades if you can't practice it, as became the story of a couple years of his life.    Hopefully when he's 36 he'll have that Harold Baines roll out of bed rep after about 8000 good PA.    Schwarber's kind of lived out what a strong version of this profile making it looks like.

He has plenty of bat speed to get to upper velocity, but seemed to have some trouble picking up spin and changeups.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I was encouraged by this part of the write-up.     The spin and changeups part makes complete sense - cue classics like hitting a baseball the hardest thing in sports, hitting is timing, pitching is disrupting timing, etc.    The skill fades if you can't practice it, as became the story of a couple years of his life.    Hopefully when he's 36 he'll have that Harold Baines roll out of bed rep after about 8000 good PA.    Schwarber's kind of lived out what a strong version of this profile making it looks like.

He has plenty of bat speed to get to upper velocity, but seemed to have some trouble picking up spin and changeups.

Yeah, I see a better FV with the hit tool. Like Frobby, I tend to be optimistic though. If he ends up a 45 hitter, I'll be disappointed.

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah, I see a better FV with the hit tool. Like Frobby, I tend to be optimistic though. If he ends up a 45 hitter, I'll be disappointed.

If it comes with 60 power, that’s not really disappointing to me.  I saw a scout lay a Kyle Schwarber comp on Kjerstad.  That’s not ideal for a 1:2 pick, but I could live with it.  

• Upvote 1

If Kjerstad turns into Swarber, that would be great, but Max Myers or Reid Detmers sure would have looked good in the system right now. Imagine having him and GRod ready next year for the rotation? They could of had Detmers AND Mayo and Baumler but you do have to giver all teams a bit of a bye for that 5 round 2020 draft.

At least they didn't go Asa Lacey or Austin Martin.

• Upvote 2

Kjerstad was featured on MLB Pipeline’s November 15 podcast discussing the AFL, which you can find here, among other places: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/ENTDM8206698407?selected=CAD3266447253

At about the 23:55 mark, Jim Callis is previewing his post-season “top prospects in the AFL” list and says it’s between Kjerstad and Zac Veen for nos. 4-5 on the list.   Callis says that some scouts he talked to felt that Kjerstad was the top prospect in the league.  He also mentions that Kjerstad tends to look for a certain pitch in a certain zone until he’s at two strikes, and lays off if he doesn’t get it, which is why his K rate was a bit high.   Callis says he may need to refine his approach a bit as he moves up the ladder.  

Then at the 36:00 mark, Callis interviews Kjerstad for about 20 minutes.  Among other things, Kjerstad talks about his approach at the plate, his experience with myocarditis and the hamstring, and how the O’s staff presents analytic information to the hitters.  It’s worth a listen.  Kjerstad says he didn’t find out about the myocarditis until very shortly before Fall instructs were scheduled to start, so we can put to bed the idea that this was something knowable at the time of the draft.   

On 11/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tony-OH said:

If Kjerstad turns into Swarber, that would be great, but Max Myers or Reid Detmers sure would have looked good in the system right now. Imagine having him and GRod ready next year for the rotation? They could of had Detmers AND Mayo and Baumler but you do have to giver all teams a bit of a bye for that 5 round 2020 draft.

At least they didn't go Asa Lacey or Austin Martin.

You of all people know that you can't really know the impact of a draft pick for many years after the draft. In five years things may look very different for all of the prospects you just named. If nothing else, we have to acknowledge that pitchers break at a rate much higher than non-pitchers. You can't tell me that pitching injuries are predictable any more than Kjerstad heart condition was predictable. Hindsight is, however, 20/20...

17 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

You of all people know that you can't really know the impact of a draft pick for many years after the draft. In five years things may look very different for all of the prospects you just named. If nothing else, we have to acknowledge that pitchers break at a rate much higher than non-pitchers. You can't tell me that pitching injuries are predictable any more than Kjerstad heart condition was predictable. Hindsight is, however, 20/20...

Go back and reread my post then come back and tell me where I suggested we know the outcome of all the draft picks in that draft.

I just said those two pitchers would have looked pretty good instead right now because they both are major league ready as the Orioles head into a window.

I never stated it was a scouting problem or that anything with Kjerstad's illness and injury could have been predicted. You literally read what I said and jumped not once on the "jumped to the conclusion mat", but multiple times to come up with that post.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Go back and reread my post then come back and tell me where I suggested we know the outcome of all the draft picks in that draft.

I just said those two pitchers would have looked pretty good instead right now because they both are major league ready as the Orioles head into a window.

I never stated it was a scouting problem or that anything with Kjerstad's illness and injury could have been predicted. You literally read what I said and jumped not once on the "jumped to the conclusion mat", but multiple times to come up with that post.

ok. I obviously misinterpreted what you meant. What are you saying? Would you rather have taken Detmers or Myers at the time of the draft? My point is you, and almost everyone else, had no way of knowing, at the time of the draft, who was going to be a better prospect. To use a common phrase, Sh-- happens. Draft picks sometimes don't work out and some of them take more time to develop than other. I took from your comment that you thought Detmers or Myers was a better pick. If I misinterpreted your statement, forgive me. 

22 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

ok. I obviously misinterpreted what you meant. What are you saying? Would you rather have taken Detmers or Myers at the time of the draft? My point is you, and almost everyone else, had no way of knowing, at the time of the draft, who was going to be a better prospect. To use a common phrase, Sh-- happens. Draft picks sometimes don't work out and some of them take more time to develop than other. I took from your comment that you thought Detmers or Myers was a better pick. If I misinterpreted your statement, forgive me. 

No, my entire point was that I would rather have Detmers or Myers right now. It was a throw away comment that was not meant to disparage Kjerstad or the scouting staff. 

Saying that, as of right now, they look like they would be better picks. I agree, only time will tell this fully.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...