What will the Orioles’ payroll be in 2023?

Frobby

What will the O’s 2023 payroll be?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will the O’s 2023 payroll be?

• Under $40 mm
    • $40 - 59.9 mm
    • $60 - 79.9 mm
    • $80 - 99.9 mm
    • $100 - $120 mm
    • Over $120 mm

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 19:00

In theory, if the O’s signed absolutely nobody new for next year, their payroll could be as low as $34 mm.  Last year, BB-ref had them at $48 mm.  

I’ve seen various opinions on what the O’s payroll will be for 2023, but I thought I’d run a poll to pin it down.  What say you?  Obviously, this is total speculation.

To be clear about what’s on the books, Means is under contract for $3 mm, our seven Arb players are estimated to cost $18 mm, and in theory the other 18 spots could be filled at $700-750 k per spot by pre-Arb players.   

Edited by Frobby

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Looks like about 14.6 owed to Davis, Cobb and ODay as well.

I conveniently forgot about that.  So, the under $40 mm option is probably off the table.   But anyway, how much of a one-year increase will we see?

Personally, whatever the max payroll for the O’s is over the next 5-7 years, I’m not expecting the O’s to get there in one offseason.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I conveniently forgot about that.  So, the under $40 mm option is probably off the table.   But anyway, how much of a one-year increase will we see?

Personally, whatever the max payroll for the O’s is over the next 5-7 years, I’m not expecting the O’s to get there in one offseason.  

Of course not.  Their payroll won’t max out until they start to get these guys well into arbitration. 

This really depends on if they trade any of the vets and how many of the young kids start the year here.

Just to add a little perspective, per BB-ref, the median payroll last year was about $126.5 mm.

Above $120 mm - 17 teams

$100 - 119.9 mm - 4 teams

$80 - 99.9 mm - 1 team

$60 - 79.9 mm - 5 teams

$40 - 59.9 mm - 2 teams

Under $40 mm - 1 team

Thats all by BB-ref’s methodology, which doesn’t appear to include deferred compensation.

I’ll go ahead and be hopelessly optimistic. Let’s say they recognize the years with Adley is a prime contention window and they decide to go all in. Verlander shouldn’t need any more than a 2 year commitment as long as the money is right. Go ahead and sign Correa and move Mateo to 2B where he can make up for the lost shift with his speed and range. Trade Holliday for a year of Ohtani because by the time the kid is ready, we’ll be nearing the end of this supposed magical window of competitive relevance. 

🤠

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’ll go ahead and be hopelessly optimistic. Let’s say they recognize the years with Adley is a prime contention window and they decide to go all in. Verlander shouldn’t need any more than a 2 year commitment as long as the money is right. Go ahead and sign Correa and move Mateo to 2B where he can make up for the lost shift with his speed and range. Trade Holliday for a year of Ohtani because by the time the kid is ready, we’ll be nearing the end of this supposed magical window of competitive relevance. 

🤠

The last sentence makes zero sense.  

• Upvote 1