The Third Base Market - Ramon Urias Trade Speculation

Just Regular

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Tony:    "While the defense is no doubt major league ready, the question is whether Ortiz’s bat is for real or whether he was just on an incredibly heater."

Are you disagree with him?

Yes. Ortiz hit at Bowie in 2021 before he tore his labrum.  Kind of a major injury.  This year it took awhile, understandably, but once he got going he never stopped.  He hit. He hit for power. He used all fields. He made consistent contact.  Even Tony was impressed with his balance at the plate and bility to hit all types of pitches.  Is he going to OPS 1.000 or .900 at the ML level? No.  But .700 - .800 is reasonable to forsee.   It seems like every minor leaguer interviewed in the system singles out Ortiz as a player to watch.  Ortiz is most likely a better option than Mateo to start the season but I get the idea of seeing if Mateo can tap into his offensive potential while Ortiz gets more reps at Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

• Just Regular changed the title to The Third Base Market - Ramon Urias Trade Speculation
1 hour ago, Camden Yards said:

So you are saying Mateo SS and Gunnar at 3B? Urias at 2B? Or are you trading him? 

Given how stacked we are with infielders I think Urias has to be at the top of the trade list. His GG award should be the cherry on top wrt his value to other teams. If he doesn't get dealt you're probably looking at trading Mateo, Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby, either individually or as part of a package. While Urias is pretty much a known quantity, and to one extent or another the others aren't, I think Elias will want to hold on to the younger players unless he's blown away by an offer. 

I'd trade Urias for the best deal we can get, start the season with Gunnar, Mateo, and Westburg manning the infield (backed up by Vavra), and leave Norby and Ortiz at Norfolk as the next men in line. If Mateo can't get the bat going then Ortiz is promoted. If Westburg tanks then Norby is promoted. If everybody performs then you have one of those good problems (to quote Chris Partlow).  In the end all your guys have the opportunity to succeed, and there are fallbacks if they don't.  

Edited by ShoelesJoe

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Urias makes more sense to trade vs Mateo.  First of all, I would guess Urias carries more value.  Secondly, Mateo can play more positions in that UTI role. 

I would  deal both and Urias is a guy I would hate to lose but it makes sense to move him.

Why do we think Urias carries more value? I think Mateo had more value externally because people know what they get from defense and speed.

i think the optimal play is keep urias, Gunnar to SS which optimizes his value, westburg to 2B for the bat and utilize Ortiz as the Util or fill in as an injury. I think he still has some to prove at AAA.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Urias makes more sense to trade vs Mateo.  First of all, I would guess Urias carries more value.  Secondly, Mateo can play more positions in that UTI role. 

I would  deal both and Urias is a guy I would hate to lose but it makes sense to move him.

Twins got this for Urshela. Urias has many more controllable years.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/twins-trade-gio-urshela-angels.html

3 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Why do we think Urias carries more value? I think Mateo had more value externally because people know what they get from defense and speed.

i think the optimal play is keep urias, Gunnar to SS which optimizes his value, westburg to 2B for the bat and utilize Ortiz as the Util or fill in as an injury. I think he still has some to prove at AAA.

Mateo can’t hit and the defense was great for one year.  The speed is nice but if you don’t get on base, it only means so much.

Urias has always hit and he can play defense.  He also will take a walk.  

I suppose if a team wants a SS they would value Mateo higher but overall, Urias has just been the better all around player.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So great that Mateo is going to hit well for 6 months, Bradish is going to have a 3.29 ERA and Kremer is going to be sub 4 again.

We really May go 162-0 next year.

Didn’t you see Bradish and Kremer against Houston? They just have to figure out how to do that for 6 months and then bam, Cy Young.