So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

Mike Elias is so leak-proof that MLBTR has resorted to posting entire Orioles-based articles based on nothing but some throwaway sentences in Roch's blog. Things like "the Orioles are interested in multiple FA SPs". Stuff that Roch could very well just be assuming, but MLBTR has no other Orioles rumor sources. 

I like Elias but man it makes for a boring offseason until something actually happens. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mike Elias is so leak-proof that MLBTR has resorted to posting entire Orioles-based articles based on nothing but some throwaway sentences in Roch's blog. Things like "the Orioles are interested in multiple FA SPs".

Isn’t that what they do with all the teams, just summarize snippets from reporters?  I guess maybe our snippets are less substantive.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Isn’t that what they do with all the teams, just summarize snippets from reporters?  I guess maybe our snippets are less substantive.  

Yeah, but ours seems to be almost exclusively from Roch. Although I did see the little Rosenthal blurb about the trade market. Still, we've known that from the start. 

Dodgers To Meet With Justin Verlander Today - MLB Trade Rumors

If Verlander signs with LAD, that gives them 5 SPs.  Any interest in any of these names?  Obviously not 2023 TOR targets.  But Pepiot, Grove, Miller, and Stone look like they just need an opportunity.

such as Ryan Pepiot, Michael Grove, Andre Jackson, Bobby Miller and Gavin Stone

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Are we gonna DO SOMETHING?!?!?

I thought this was going to be an offseason where we were going to SET THE MARKET not wait for the market.  UGHGHHGHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHH this is the most important offseason EVARRRRR 

After 2014 was more important in my opinion but pretty important alright!! I know the waiting has all kinds of strategery lol but Orioles have never been that team busting out of the offseason gate. 

1 hour ago, mall-O-cup said:

I liked Abreu as a fit here, but I'm surprised he got 3/$60M. I liked him at somewhere around 2/$36 and would have MAYBE considered a third year at something like 3/$50ishM, but this ended up higher than I expected. I think he'll be worth it in 2023, but his age gives me pause.  

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I liked Abreu as a fit here, but I'm surprised he got 3/$60M. I liked him at somewhere around 2/$36 and would have MAYBE considered a third year at something like 3/$50ishM, but this ended up higher than I expected. I think he'll be worth it in 2023, but his age gives me pause.  

I really liked the idea of bringing him in. His track record suggests he will be worth the money he's being paid but only time will tell.

10 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...I think the market is exploding. I think we will be avoiding the first round of free agency

Things are still percolating in the warehouse…nothing new with the Angelos family still in charge. Ebenezer Angelos is still holding the change purse😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

If they aren’t signing difference makers under $17 million per. They might as well just do some trades.

I'd be more interested in trades than FA signings if I were GM.

We have several emerging talent bottlenecks that need to be addressed.

We don't want to give that talent away. So we need to trade it for ML talent, and for prospects with a longer expiration date. The object of a long-term healthy organization should be keeping the 1, 3, and 5 year plans fully stocked.

Our priority as an organization should be..

1. Draft and Develop

2. Trade (and other acquisition not involving market spend)

3. Free Agency

13 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd be more interested in trades than FA signings if I were GM.

We have several emerging talent bottlenecks that need to be addressed.

We don't want to give that talent away. So we need to trade it for ML talent, and for prospects with a longer expiration date. The object of a long-term healthy organization should be keeping the 1, 3, and 5 year plans fully stocked.

Our priority as an organization should be..

1. Draft and Develop

2. Trade (and other acquisition not involving market spend)

3. Free Agency

Sure?

No one is suggesting differently over the long term.

But with this low a payroll and the financial flexibility it provides now would be the time to use free agents to supplement the core.

If you are not willing to do it now you should just eliminate it from you options as an avenue for obtaining difference making level of talent.