Tools (current/future value)
Hit: 35/50
Game Power: 35/45
Raw Power: 45/50
Run: 55/55
Defense: 40/45

Most Likely Future Role: Utility
Ceiling: 2nd Division 2B

What we know: Asked to repeat Delmarva after non-descript season there in 2021, this 20-year old infielder did well enough to earn him a promotion to High-A (Aberdeen) after just 32 games and onto AA (Bowie) for the last three weeks of the year.  The right-handed infielder brings about average tools across the board but no one carrying tool to hang in his hat on. He does show good contact (9.9% in A Ball, 10.7% in High-A swinging strike rate), low K rate (15.9% and 16.9%) along with a solid line drive rates (17% and 23.8%). He still doesn’t show a lot of pop though he was starting to show some ability to impact the baseball with a .228 ISO in Delmarva. He hit surprisingly well in Aberdeen (Carolina League) slashing .305/.377/.456/.832 with 12 doubles and 5 home runs in 255 PAs. He can struggle at times against sliders away.

Defensively the Orioles played him all over the field but he doesn’t have the arm strength to play SS on anything but a part time basis. As he’s filled out he’s also lost some range so 2B or maybe 3B if his power develops are better bets if he stays on the infield. Not only is his arm not that strong, it’s not terribly accurate either.

He's an above average runner who stole 32 out of 36 attempts but is not a burner out there. He relies more on reads and jumps than pure speed.

What we don’t know: As he’s filled out a bit he’s been able to impact the baseball more, so the question is will that continue? He’s shown decent plate discipline and good contact skills, will that continue translate as he gets challenged more at the upper levels. Defensively, will he find a position to call his own on the infield, and will the organization give him some looks in the outfield to give him more versatility.

What we think: Hernaiz reminds some of a Ramon Urias type and that seems like a good comp if things go right for him. While he doesn’t have a real weakness, he also doesn’t have that one tool that you can wish upon for him to become a major league regular. Saying that, he’s young, and got his first taste of AA last year, so don’t overlook him either. He’ll most likely start next season at Bowie playing all over the diamond.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

What if he’s our Jose Ramirez?

What makes you think he could be?  Ramirez debuted in the majors in his age 20 season, then had a 1.5 rWAR season at age 21.   Hernaiz was 20 this year (turned 21 in August) and got a small taste of AA.   

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A very nice interview.   Always great to hear all of these guys talk about each other in such glowing terms.

The Delmarva play by play announcer had really nice things to say about Hernaiz’s clubhouse leadership.  Talked about how Hernaiz could have sulked after being sent back to Delmarva to begin 2022, but instead served as a leader and a bridge between the American players and the many Latino players on the team, until he got promoted after 32 games.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The Delmarva play by play announcer had really nice things to say about Hernaiz’s clubhouse leadership.  Talked about how Hernaiz could have sulked after being sent back to Delmarva to begin 2022, but instead served as a leader and a bridge between the American players and the many Latino players on the team, until he got promoted after 32 games.  

And that agrees with what Hernaiz said.  He was a little angry returning to Delmarva but it turned out to be a good experience as he was a bit of a big brother to the Latin players on the team.   You should listen in when you can.

• Thanks 1

I got more Ramirez vibes in the Bencosme write-up.    A stellar Hit tool is one I think MLB Clubs may not be perfect in finding in Latin 10th graders, and you can certainly win big if a few years later your kid is the one who becomes one of the world's best hitters.

The Hernaiz "no weaknesses" bit kind of reminded me of how Belichick liked to build his units - if he's a keeper maybe he time he and Vavra kind of combine as the 10th/11th guys covering a bunch of the field.

• Upvote 1

Hernaiz is another one of those high character guys this organization is very keen on selecting. Considering they were hammered by some in the industry when they fired a bunch of scouts, they really have a done a nice job with the human element of the players selected, showing they don't just "robo select" players on metrics alone.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure what you mean. What are you referring to?

In a sense that his metrics aren’t impressive I guess. In the interview the guy thinks of himself as a five tool player. He’s young and growing is all and yes he’s a high character player but don’t snooze on his metrics as well I guess. That’s probably not what you meant so I apologize if I took it the wrong way.

Edited by Explosivo

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

And that agrees with what Hernaiz said.  He was a little angry returning to Delmarva but it turned out to be a good experience as he was a bit of a big brother to the Latin players on the team.   You should listen in when you can.

I just watched it.   That was one of the better player interviews I've seen recently.   And, Hernaiz definitely looks like he's put on some serious muscle!

You kind of have to feel sorry for a guy like Hernaiz, with Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz and Norby ahead of him and Holliday soon to be breathing down his neck behind him.   But, I guess if he is talented enough to be a major leaguer, he will find his way there so long as he works hard, and having the benefit of the O's player development system is a plus for him.

Great interview, pretty candid and articulate guy.  You get the impression that he understands exactly what he has to do to be successful.  It kind of stinks he has all the middle infielders around him, but honestly in the long run all that competition is only going to elevate his game.  Seems like such a good dude.  Easy guy to pull for.   I knew I liked him for a good reason :)

5 hours ago, Explosivo said:

In a sense that his metrics aren’t impressive I guess. In the interview the guy thinks of himself as a five tool player. He’s young and growing is all and yes he’s a high character player but don’t snooze on his metrics as well I guess. That’s probably not what you meant so I apologize if I took it the wrong way.

That's ok. He is a five tool guy in that he really doesn't have a bad tool, but he also doesn't have a carrying tool for me right now. Could he develop more power as he gets older, sure, but he's already lost a little quickness in the field and that arm is not going to make up for that.

I have him in the top 20 of a pretty deep farm system. That's pretty good praise if you ask me.