“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Orioles have not signned a legitimately elite free agent since Tejada almost 20 years ago, so you'll have to forgive me for remaining skeptical.

You don’t consider Rougned Odor to be elite?

We are in a different position than any time since then, in terms of competitive position vs. low payroll.  So, we have more ability to consider an elite signing.  That doesn’t mean it’s the right move to put so many eggs in one basket.  We’ll see what they do.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis?

Old Man Peter was the only person who thought Davis was legitimately elite and bid against himself accordingly.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You don’t consider Rougned Odor to be elite?

We are in a different position than any time since then, in terms of competitive position vs. low payroll.  So, we have more ability to consider an elite signing.  That doesn’t mean it’s the right move to put so many eggs in one basket.  We’ll see what they do.  

You're right, how could I forget the man who carried the 2022 Orioles on his back to their first winning season in half a decade? I'm mortified!

Joking aside though, I do agree that this particular moment in time is probably the best situation we have found ourselves in to make such a move in quite awhile, and with so few payroll commitments and so much cheap, young talent already here and still in the pipeline, I would be much more open to a high risk/high reward move like signing deGrom than usual. If he can be had on a 3 year deal, I'm absolutely in, and might even be talked into going to 4 years. When healthy, he is genuinely the best pitcher of this era.

If GrayRod reaches even 80% of his potential, and deGrom can stay relatively healthy, that would be one hell of a 1-2 punch.

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I don't think I would believe it until I saw him in uniform at a Press conference.  Even then, I think I'd have to pinch myself.  

What scares me is DeGrom’s innings pitched 64, 91, and 68. Baseball reference has him projected to pitch 101 innings. I just don’t see how any team could justify paying him 30-40 for that and 2ish WAR. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Roll Tide said:

What scares me is DeGrom’s innings pitched 64, 91, and 68. Baseball reference has him projected to pitch 101 innings. I just don’t see how any team could justify paying him 30-40 for that and 2ish WAR. 

The justification would be if he pitched 15-20 of those innings in the playoffs and you win a WS.  I don't think I would be so brave to do it if it were my decision, but there is absolutely huge upside to the deal. 

As I have always said … it isn’t my money.  If they want to make a run at the top tier, then good!!  If they want to spend that money otherwise, good too-you could get Bassitt AND Eovaldi and a bat   lol. 

Let’s say 4 years 160 mil for DeGrom.. .. so contract cost for Bassitt 60, Eovaldi 50 and Abreu 35 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Here’s Steamer’s IP projections

Bassitt 196

Verlander 190

Rodon 178

Taillon 170

deGrom 168

Quintana 164

Lyles 164

Kluber 159

Eovaldi 155

Manaea 154

Syndergaard 153

Walker 152

Heaney 140

Greinke 136

i have no idea how they come up with these.  Bassitt has never pitched 196 innings in his career.  He’s thrown 162+ exactly once.   

Bottom line, it’s really tough to forecast what pitchers will get through a season unscathed, much less 3+ seasons.  

5 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Orioles have not signned a legitimately elite free agent since Tejada almost 20 years ago, so you'll have to forgive me for remaining skeptical.

And as I recall with Tejada that was a relatively cool free agent market with not many suitors allowing the Orioles to make a play for him.

Orioles are a team on the upswing now and should be a more attractive destination for free agents besides just the money. Obviously the money still matters, but it’s not the only reason to join the Orioles. 

• Upvote 1