“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I LOVE this trade for Diamondbacks. It should be interesting to see who has the better offensive season, Gurriel or Varsho. I think it's going to be a lot closer than people think. Kudos to the Jays for keeping Kirk. I really though he would be the odd man out, since he's more of a DH than a catcher. I think he has batting titles in his future. 

You say he’s more DH than C, but his defensive metrics, including framing, were very good.   The guy doesn’t look like an athlete, but he definitely is one.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I really don't like the Yoshida deal.

I think he was a big overpay and will end up a DH with sub-par power by the end of the deal.

In the long run, I agree that the deal will look so-so, but I think he will hit very well for a few years at least and they are generally willing to spend, so they can afford to be aggressive for a guy they really like.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Diamondbacks also have 4 of the top 20 prospects. 

It will be interesting to see which of the O's and D'backs reach the playoffs first after tying for the worst record in baseball in 2021.

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The could use some bullpen help too. 

There's still some decent middle relief guys out there, I could see them snagging a couple of them before ST.

The Jays changing Gurriel and Teoscar to Kiermaier and Varsho reminds me of the Yankees last offseason regearing a little bit to balance defense with offense.

The Orioles and Rays are on the other end of this spectrum with some acrobats who don't hit much.

Frazier's dumb bloop helping eliminate them may have been some of the catalyst for churning 2/3rds of the outfield....OAA thinks Varsho was one of MLB's very best outfielders last year, a good trick for a part-time catcher.

Here was a contemporary report with Luhnow quotes from summer of 2014.    

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/6/25/5843742/carlos-correa-right-fibula-surgery-astros-2014

I've mentioned Jackson Holliday's 2-year goal as possibly in range if he is like Correa, but Correa even broke a leg in his 3-year path through the minors.     Correa was a young draftee almost a year less than Holliday at draft time, but I'll trust Elias feels between ages 17.5 and 18.5 Holliday did some good work growing himself as a ballplayer.

The Correa 2014-2015 stats may be benchmarks for Holliday to chase if he can make it by next fall.    This year....300/400/500 in High-A, deflating California League numbers a little bit for the East Coast.    Maybe even less - Aberdeen v. California League could be a bear.

Edited by Just Regular

On 12/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, Sports Guy said:

What if you signed Correa to a 2/60 deal?

Traded Ortiz or Westburg, Hall, Norby and Kremer for Burnes.

Not trading Kremer…. Ortiz/Westburg, Hall, Norby, and Povich/McDermott/Johnson. 

Adding Burnes while creating another whole in the rotation is a mistake. Plus I have a hard time giving up any of this without an extension