“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And as I recall with Tejada that was a relatively cool free agent market with not many suitors allowing the Orioles to make a play for him.

Orioles are a team on the upswing now and should be a more attractive destination for free agents besides just the money. Obviously the money still matters, but it’s not the only reason to join the Orioles. 

I think it will be a challenge for Elias and Hyde to sell players on that.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will be a challenge for Elias and Hyde to sell players on that.

Why?  It’s the truth.  Anyone paying attention can see the O’s are in a position to compete for the next several years at a minimum.  I think most players and their agents are pretty sophisticated about things like that.  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not about many things, but in terms of understanding the competitive environment in their sport, I think they are.  

I respectfully disagree.

I also don't think the underlying numbers are as obviously rosy to someone who isn't an Oriole fan.

To your layman you have a team that was very very bad, that overachieved their talent level for one year and have two highly touted prospects coming up next year with uncertain ownership.

In the AL East.

The O's are a couple years removed from trying to get arbitration eligible players to take deferred money.  You don't think the agents remember that?

I can see where it might not be an easy sell.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s Steamer’s IP projections

Bassitt 196

Verlander 190

Rodon 178

Taillon 170

deGrom 168

Quintana 164

Lyles 164

Kluber 159

Eovaldi 155

Manaea 154

Syndergaard 153

Walker 152

Heaney 140

Greinke 136

i have no idea how they come up with these.  Bassitt has never pitched 196 innings in his career.  He’s thrown 162+ exactly once.   

Bottom line, it’s really tough to forecast what pitchers will get through a season unscathed, much less 3+ seasons.  

If the prop bet forDeGrom was 160 IPs , I’d place a pretty sizable wager against it

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I respectfully disagree.

I also don't think the underlying numbers are as obviously rosy to someone who isn't an Oriole fan.

To your layman you have a team that was very very bad, that overachieved their talent level for one year and have two highly touted prospects coming up next year with uncertain ownership.

In the AL East.

The O's are a couple years removed from trying to get arbitration eligible players to take deferred money.  You don't think the agents remember that?

I can see where it might not be an easy sell.

The Orioles have an often unmentioned selling point to a FA pitcher...  and one that might be a tie-breaker or even a thumb on the scale of an otherwise similar offer...   That being the new Home Run Eating canyon in left field.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

The Orioles have an often unmentioned selling point to a FA pitcher...  and one that might be a tie-breaker or even a thumb on the scale of an otherwise similar offer...   That being the new Home Run Eating canyon in left field.

Maybe?

Do pitchers' parks get more free agent pitchers?

I'm never noticed that they do.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And as I recall with Tejada that was a relatively cool free agent market with not many suitors allowing the Orioles to make a play for him.

Orioles are a team on the upswing now and should be a more attractive destination for free agents besides just the money. Obviously the money still matters, but it’s not the only reason to join the Orioles. 

I recall it being a pretty slow-moving offseason, yeah. I still wonder from time to time how things worked out in the timeline where Vlad signed here. Probably not much better, but still would be interesting to see the butterfly effect on Orioles history that would have resulted from it.

I think we'll still have to be the highest bidder by a decent margin for the elite-ish guys, but desirable mid-tier SPs might be more open to signing here thanks to Mt. Walltimore rather than us simply having to wait and see who was left standing at the end of free agent musical chairs- i.e. Ubaldo, Gallardo, Cobb, etc. That would be nice.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe?

Do pitchers' parks get more free agent pitchers?

I'm never noticed that they do.

Colorado's long-standing troubles with getting pitchers to sign there are pretty well-known, so having a pitcher's park may or may not help with luring pitchers to your team, but having a hitter's park can definitely drive them away.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure that works.

But it is exactly not what the person I was replying to said.

Sure .. it was about him believing the Os could sell themselves as emerging powers to be, coming into their own etc and you doubting they could sell that.

My point is that either way it doesn’t matter to most free agents, imho. 

38 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Sure .. it was about him believing the Os could sell themselves as emerging powers to be, coming into their own etc and you doubting they could sell that.

My point is that either way it doesn’t matter to most free agents, imho. 

I think there’s a lot of players who really don’t want to play for a team they think has no chance to win.  That’s not to say they can’t be bought off, but it takes a very significant overpay to do it. 

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure that works.

But it is exactly not what the person I was replying to said.

But, since most free agents sign for the most money with the exception of giving a small discount to his current team why would it matter.

The Orioles appear to be up and coming. If they make the right moves with the bats it would be easier to show the high end pitcher that the Orioles are serious. If the hitters are a couple of middling low OBP guys then it’s probably not as easy of a sell if their additions are a could of low OBP guys or reclamation projects.