“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bryce Harper was 26 when he signed his deal. Turner is 29.

Harper is an OFer. Turner is a SS, a position that historically players see sharp declines in their early 30s.

The difference is apples to Buicks.

Oh and Harper is coming off TJ surgery and we will see if he ends up being a DH/1st baseman, which further deceases his value.

Turner is a great hitter. If he has the sharp decline in his early 30s that you're so sure he's going to have (I doubt it) then he can move to the OF. The guy is one of the very best athletes in the sport by pretty much any measure. He's not gonna hurt you out there for a long time. It's not a big secret that teams are paying for the first 60-75% of the contract. Not every team has stingy ownership afraid to make big moves. 

16 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Hopefully the Turner contract will FINALLY put an end to the Correa talk. 

(It won't)

If we were truly in on guys like Correa, we'd hear some stuff like this probably:

The Twins are set for another in-person meeting with Scott Boras this week to discuss Carlos Correa, Darren Wolfson of SKOR North Radio and 5 Eyewitness News reports in his latest podcast (Correa/Twins talk beginning at 10:10). The Twins have already discussed various contract structures with Boras and Correa, reportedly putting forth multiple offershttps://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/twins-trade-rumors-luis-arraez-carlos-correa-rotation-catcher.html

Maybe Elias is just that leak-proof, but when it comes to a Boras client, it gets out one way or another. We'd know about it, if only so that other teams know about it. 

Phillies have a nice team and just got better. 11 years is a long time but it’ll be worth it if they’re contenders for most of those years. That’s just the cost of signing big time free agents nowadays. All the more reason why the O’s should be overpaying pitchers for 2/3 year deals and extending their own.

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Turner is a great hitter. If he has the sharp decline in his early 30s that you're so sure he's going to have (I doubt it) then he can move to the OF. The guy is one of the very best athletes in the sport by pretty much any measure. He's not gonna hurt you out there for a long time. It's not a big secret that teams are paying for the first 60-75% of the contract. Not every team has stingy ownership afraid to make big moves. 

So, your belief is that Turner will buck 100+ year historical trends.  It’s possible. Certainly not something I would bet on.

I think he’s probably ok for the next 2-3 years.  It gets shaky after that.

As it stands, he’s coming off one of the worst OPS’ of his career and saw his OPS+ greatly drop from the last 2-3 years.

Edited by Sports Guy

The Phils will be regretting that Turner contract in 3-4 years whenever his range declines to below average. Whatever. Its not my money. 

This could help the Orioles in their quest to trade SS as the demand could be at an absolute premium right now. 

Honestly, it's a contract the Orioles could take a hint from, not that we'd hand out a $300 million contract to anyone ever. But more years, less AAV, more flexibility to build around the player, and you entice him with those extra years. It's one of the smarter terrible contracts. Because it is terrible. But they at least have more flexibility annually than they would on a shorter deal. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, it's a contract the Orioles could take a hint from, not that we'd hand out a $300 million contract to anyone ever. But more years, less AAV, more flexibility to build around the player, and you entice him with those extra years. It's one of the smarter terrible contracts. Because it is terrible. But they at least have more flexibility annually than they would on a shorter deal. 

To me the key is you have to be willing to pull the plug when he's done as a player.  If you keep him around the whole time just because you are paying him and he costs you a roster spot that's a significant cost.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Much rather give the higher AAV, especially with a roster as cheap as ours.

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The Phils will be regretting that Turner contract in 3-4 years whenever his range declines to below average. Whatever. Its not my money. 

This could help the Orioles in their quest to trade SS as the demand could be at an absolute premium right now. 

They'll have no regrets if Turner wins them a WS in the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Dombrowski will be long gone by then.  Someone else's problem.

In the meantime, Dombrowski will be chasing his third WS title, having taken every franchise he's ever run to the WS at least once. I imagine that he completely understands what he's doing here.