“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a bit hyperbolic, wouldn’t you say?    Obviously there’s a risk you don’t get a full season out of deGrom.  But to say he’s only going to throw 100-110 innings tops is just way too conservative.  He threw 200+ in 2017-19 and was at a 180+ pace in the Covid-shortened season.  So now you’re saying because he’s had injuries two years in a row he’ll never have a healthy season again?  He might not, but we certainly don’t know that.  

Would you want to spend $40 million per for a guy who pitched under 100 innings 2 years in a row? The Yankees/Dodgers can afford to take that risk I don’t think we can.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

From Roch today:

When you say the Orioles aren't shopping in the top tier of free agency, does that include Carlos Rodón?

He’s in the top tier. The Orioles may float some offers, as I’ve said, but they’ll be much more aggressive on the second and third levels. Upgrades are available. To say they’re “fishing in the deep end” of free agency doesn’t mean they’re ready to break the bank. It means they’re talking to agents and getting an accurate read on the prices. Never hurts to do that.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/because-you-asked-holiday-heist

Does Roch actually know anything?  Is he being told this by the club?  Or is he just stating his opinion?  I believe the latter.  Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.  

Roch doesn’t usually report anything that he isn’t being told.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Roch doesn’t usually report anything that he isn’t being told.

That Roch article sounds like the bad old days a bit.  Make sure we fans know we aren’t going after the best pitchers.. check. Now float the idea that a second tier Bassit won’t “come cheap”.  This is the path to Ubaldos and Lyles .. i hope Elias proves this wrong. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s reporting more than that.  He’s just not saying it directly.

Roch Is a master at being ambiguous about whether what he’s saying is his opinion vs. something he’s actually heard from a knowledgeable source.  He’s often surprised by things that happen, and freely admits that.  So, I don’t put that much stock in what he says unless he makes it very clear he has a source.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch Is a master at being ambiguous about whether what he’s saying is his opinion vs. something he’s actually heard from a knowledgeable source.  He’s often surprised by things that happen, and freely admits that.  So, I don’t put that much stock in what he says unless he makes it very clear he has a source.   

And what I’m telling you is that even when it’s an opinion, the foundation of that opinion is based on what he is being told and what he is hearing.

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Would you want to spend $40 million per for a guy who pitched under 100 innings 2 years in a row? The Yankees/Dodgers can afford to take that risk I don’t think we can.

Different question.   I think at present we could take that risk on a short contract.  Whether that’s the best use of our resources is the issue.