“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know, are you going to start laying on the personal insults again?

You compared me to a drug addict yesterday, what you got today?

It's your MO I know.

Drug addict?  I don't remember that one.  I guess I'm getting old and cranky!   lol

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He basically said that we wouldn't be the division favorite, on paper, no matter what we do this offseason.   That was an honest assessment but some people "can't handle the truth".

Are you sure about that? Because you seem really sure. Being the division favorite on paper is subjective and always going to be difficult in the AL East. Prematurely writing us off is an excuse, not a reason. Not now. My interpretation is that he is is justifying why spending a bunch of money right now would be unwise. I think that’s flat out wrong at this juncture.

There is young, cheap, controllable, and most importantly good talent on the major league roster or extremely close. When you’re working with a payroll that is almost as minimal as it can possibly get and still refusing to make a reasonable financial commitment then it says more about the organizations bottom line than anything. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean, you can read it as you like but to me it went beyond we wouldn't be the favorite into we don't have a realistic chance.

To me those are very different things.

IMO what he said was closer to “we wouldn’t be the favorite” than “we don’t have a realistic chance.”  Here are his words:

“I think it's really hard to sit there and chart a course and say, 'We're likely to win the division.'"

Either way, I’d have been happier if he hadn’t said it.   

Edited by Frobby

27 minutes ago, oriole said:

Are you sure about that? Because you seem really sure. Being the division favorite on paper is subjective and always going to be difficult in the AL East. Prematurely writing us off is an excuse, not a reason. Not now. My interpretation is that he is is justifying why spending a bunch of money right now would be unwise. I think that’s flat out wrong at this juncture.

There is young, cheap, controllable, and most importantly good talent on the major league roster or extremely close. When you’re working with a payroll that is almost as minimal as it can possibly get and still refusing to make a reasonable financial commitment then it says more about the organizations bottom line than anything. 

Elias basically said that he isn't writing off the 2023 season.  Far from it.   He just said that you wouldn't place added emphasis on the 2023 season in expense of the 2024, 2025, 2026 seasons.   It's pretty much common sense.    He wants to create a team that is a consistent contender and winner.   You don't do that by going "all in" for 2023 if it's going to significantly weaken you 2-3 years from now.   The idea is to keep moving forward even it's not fast enough for everyone.

Edited by RZNJ

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't know if Arthur Conan Doyle used/abused opium like Sherlock Holmes in the literature, but don't believe you meant anything at all like that.

OMG!   Is that what he's talking about?    I used Sherlock Holmes entirely for the "detective" connotation.   Can you imagine that somone would draw an inference to a "drug addict" from that?     That's an active imagination.   If that's true my "paranoia will destroy you" comment takes on more weight.    Oh geez!   Say it ain't so, Corn!

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Elias also said that he didn't feel like the Winter Meetings were a deadline or that he needed to have something done by a certain date.  He also said that team were generally not discussing trades at the Winter Meetings while most of the FA's were still out there.  Again, if Wacha and Gibson are the upgrades then Elias didn't get it done.    I just think it's silly for 90% of the posters on here who think they know that Elias was given a certain budget and then it was take away or that he just flat out lied.

Time will tell but most can't wait.   How many times can you people keep saying the same thing, by the way?

Or is it silly to sit in a polyanna world where you ignore the change of tone and direction of Elias' comments while the team does nothing but sign and kick the tires of back of the rotation starters?

You seem to be real sure it's not happened more than the people are sure it did happen. Most of us are saying the way it is working out SO FAR, it certainly gives the impression that's the way ownership is going. 

I mean, you can ignore the Angelos family's openly stated financial and legal problems, the change in Elias' tone, and the lack of action by the Orioles this offseason all you want. But you might want to tone down the "silly" comments because honestly, it's not helping your argument at all.

IF the Orioles don't add a significantly salary in FA or a trade, you have to imagine it was financial budgeting that is the reason more than Elias can't get it done. 

Now as Frobby pointed out in another thread, maybe Elias is not judging the market right or maybe he's not a "closer" on deals. That certainly could be the case, but the Angelos families finacial and legal woes look large in the background.

• Thanks 1