Orioles #25 Prospect Cesar Prieto - INF

Tony-OH

Cesar Prieto
Pos: 3B-INF
Bats: L
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 23
2022 Level: A+/AA

Bio: The Orioles signed this 23-year old Cuban defector for $650k but mostly because they had the most money left after most teams had already promised their allotments for the 2021-22 J2 signing period. Assigned to Aberdeen to start his affiliated professional career despite not playing since 2020-21 season in Cuba, Prieto got off to a red hot start in Aberdeen slashing .340/.381/.619/1.000 with a surprising seven home runs in 105 PAs over 25 games. This got him a promotion to AA where he found the advanced pitchers a lot harder. The left-handed hitter struggled slashing .255/.296/.348/.643 with a 15 BB to 59 K ratio in 389 PAs. He also struggled against southpaws slashing just .221/.256/.361/.616 in 90 PAs.

While second base was always considered his best position, being on the same team as Connor Norby for a good bit of season at both levels forced him to play some SS and even more 3B. He’s showed good hands and quickness no matter where he played, but a below average arm really limits his ability to play shortstop in anything but a pinch.

Being that this was his first overall season, we have to be careful not to grade him too harshly, but it is worth questioning whether he has enough stick to be an everyday player. He does have some athleticism so perhaps getting some opportunities in the outfield could help him carve out a supersub niche if the stick isn’t enough to be an everyday guy.

• Upvote 2

The mystery is what happened to the power he showed at Aberdeen.  7 homers by April 29.  On the IL until May 11.   Not another homer until June 9 and just never to recapture the early season stroke after the IL stint.   I don’t recall the injury.  

After his hot start in Aberdeen I was hoping he would keep the momentum going in Bowie, but he really looks like he doesn't hit or field well enough to be a prospect. He looked even more lost in the Arizona Fall League. The walk rate is exactly the opposite of what we need. Great story and still rooting for him but I don't see it happening. Could be an add on in a trade for a team that doesn't have our infield depth. 

5 walks and 11 K's in  74 PA's before the hamstring injury.

0 walks and 5 K's in his last 8 games at Aberdeen after the IL stint and before his promotion to Bowie.

I'm not saying there's a cause and effect.   It would be nice if there was a reason for his poor numbers at Bowie other than "he's just not that good".

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

5 walks and 11 K's in  74 PA's before the hamstring injury.

0 walks and 5 K's in his last 8 games at Aberdeen after the IL stint and before his promotion to Bowie.

I'm not saying there's a cause and effect.   It would be nice if there was a reason for his poor numbers at Bowie other than "he's just not that good".

He didn’t do much in the AFL either.  I doubt he was injured by the time he played there, or they wouldn’t have sent him.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He didn’t do much in the AFL either.  I doubt he was injured by the time he played there, or they wouldn’t have sent him.  

Right.  Just grasping at straws here.  Maybe the injury or time off caused him to lose his swing.  Meaning, that when he came back there was a slight mechanical flaw in his swing.   He was able to hit 3 homers at Aberdeen and 4 on the road in April alone.  Then 4 the rest of the season at a park that is more conducive to home runs.

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d call his first year disappointing.  He still has time to adjust and rebound, but the infield situation is so competitive in the organization that he’s really going to need to step on the accelerator.  

Agreed on the disappointment.  The K's especially.  The two-baggers are nice though (28 in 494 PAs).  But he really seems buried offensively and defensively at multiple positions on the O's.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be an add on in a trade for a team that doesn't have our infield depth. 

This seems to be the best way to unlock his org value.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right.  Just grasping at straws here.  Maybe the injury or time off caused him to lose his swing.  Meaning, that when he came back there was a slight mechanical flaw in his swing.   He was able to hit 3 homers at Aberdeen and 4 on the road in April alone.  Then 4 the rest of the season at a park that is more conducive to home runs.

Yes, I found that peculiar as well.  Frankly though, I wasn’t expecting much power from Prieto before he showed it at Aberdeen.  Bowie was more in line with what the scouting reports had been in that regard.   In any event, we’ll see what version shows up in 2023.  

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

After his hot start in Aberdeen I was hoping he would keep the momentum going in Bowie, but he really looks like he doesn't hit or field well enough to be a prospect. He looked even more lost in the Arizona Fall League. The walk rate is exactly the opposite of what we need. Great story and still rooting for him but I don't see it happening. Could be an add on in a trade for a team that doesn't have our infield depth. 

Bolded is the bottom line with me. Coming in he was considered a hit tool guy who didn't take walks. Kind of a Mountcastle profile without as much power. Then the hit tool left him and he still didn't walk enough.

The optimist in me says what Tony says. It's his first year here. First time focusing on swing decisions like the O's want. First time trying to unlock power the way the O's want. First time being moved all around the field. First time seeing this level of pitching.

So maybe there is still upside here. I don't know, but it's possible. Still, I think he might be most valuable to the O's though as a 4th/5th piece in a big trade. Other teams might really value this kid.

Not sure if you are all aware of his back story, but he had a crazy year getting to the states. I’m giving him a pass this year to get acclimated to being away from home/family for the first time and adjusting to a new culture.  With that said, he needs to do much better next year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/07/20/billy-henderson-cesar-prieto-cuba-daily-cover

• Upvote 1