Orioles 2022 #28 Prospect Hudson Haskin - OF

Tony-OH

Hudson Haskin
Pos: OF
Bats: R
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 23
2022 Level: AA

Bio: After two full seasons in the minor leagues, it still hard to really know what to make of this outfield prospect. Drafted out of Tulane University in the 2nd round of the COVID shortened 2020 draft, Haskin has made a steady rise through the system after spending all of 2022 in AA at Bowie. His overall numbers looked decent with him slashing .264/.367/.455/.821 in 466 PAs, but if take away a white-hot first seven games of the season that included a three HR game, he slashed a mediocre .243/.353/.406/.759 with 11 HR and a 42-93 BB-K ratio in 439 PAs the rest of the way.

He didn’t pull the ball as much in 2022, but his power still his mostly to his pull side. His line drive rate fell to a career low 18% and while he can impact the baseball at times, he doesn’t appear to have high exit velocities. While he doesn’t walk much (9.2%), he also doesn’t swing and miss a ton and does a decent job of cutting down the swing on two-strikes. He struggles at times against good offspeed pitches and upper level velocity in the upper part of the zone suggesting he might be a bit of a guess hitter.

Defensively Haskin can play all three outfield positions but he’s better in left due to just average footspeed, marginal instincts, and a below average arm.

While Haskin does not have a major weakness in his skill set, he also doesn’t have a carrying tool to make him a major league regular unless it’s for a second division team. He’s probably more suited as the right-handed portion of a left field platoon or as a 4th/5th outfielder.

• Upvote 1

Been waiting to see where you would put Haskin. He's one of those players that caught my eye, and I watch him pretty closely.

I think I'd have him considerably higher, but that's part of what makes this fun.

He may be faster than you give him credit for. I'd even goes as far as to say he's got above average speed. I could see him sticking in center. His stolen bases dropped considerably season over season, but I didn't take that to mean he got any slower.

As for his bat... I'd like to see him for a clean season... he had the broken thumb in 21, and has been dorking with his swing in 22 (trying to get the windup calmed down). Still with all of that.... a .367 OBP, .821 OPS, and 15 HR's in 367 AB's.

Watching his swing change over time, I think he's one of those guys that takes coaching seriously, and tries to get better. But that tends to take time in adjustment. We'll see what we've really got next year, but I think this kid may surprise you in a good way.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, owknows said:

Been waiting to see where you would put Haskin. He's one of those players that caught my eye, and I watch him pretty closely.

I think I'd have him considerably higher, but that's part of what makes this fun.

He may be faster than you give him credit for. I'd even goes as far as to say he's got above average speed. I could see him sticking in center. His stolen bases dropped considerably season over season, but I didn't take that to mean he got any slower.

As for his bat... I'd like to see him for a clean season... he had the broken thumb in 21, and has been dorking with his swing in 22 (trying to get the windup calmed down). Still with all of that.... a .367 OBP, .821 OPS, and 15 HR's in 367 AB's.

Watching his swing change over time, I think he's one of those guys that takes coaching seriously, and tries to get better. But that tends to take time in adjustment. We'll see what we've really got next year, but I think this kid may surprise you in a good way.

Love to hear that, thanks!

The 100 pt gap between BA and OBP is a good sign.  But there's a significant difference between a .759 and an .821 OPS for a 23 y/o in AA.  The lack of speed for an OF puts extra pressure on how his bat progresses.  It would be interesting to see where his focus will be for off-season training.

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The 100 pt gap between BA and OBP is a good sign.  But there's a significant difference between a .759 and an .821 OPS for a 23 y/o in AA.  The lack of speed for an OF puts extra pressure on how his bat progresses.  It would be interesting to see where his focus will be for off-season training.

mlb.com and fangraphs both have him as a 60 run tool.

++ speed

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

The 100 pt gap between BA and OBP is a good sign. 

Haskin is one of these weird guys whose good OBP is largely driven by getting hit by pitches.   Last year he had 43 walks, 24 HBP.  He also was HBP 20 times in 2021.   Seems like we always have a couple of these guys. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Haskin is one of these weird guys whose good OBP is largely driven by getting hit by pitches.   Last year he had 43 walks, 24 HBP.  He also was HBP 20 times in 2021.   Seems like we always have a couple of these guys. 

Craig Biggio made a career out of getting hit by pitches (that and hitting :).  It can be a repeatable skill, although a painful and risky one.   Might not be able to get away with it as much now as you used to be able to.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Craig Biggio made a career out of getting hit by pitches (that and hitting :).  It can be a repeatable skill, although a painful and risky one.   Might not be able to get away with it as much now as you used to be able to.  

Rizzo has six seasons with 20 or more HBP.

Over 200 for his career.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Even as much as Biggio got hit, he walked four times as often.  Haskins walked less than double the amount of his HBP.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even as much as Biggio got hit, he walked four times as often.  Haskins walked less than double the amount of his HBP.

That’s a significant difference.  I was mostly kidding.  Biggio & Rizzo both came to mind as players that seemed to be attempting to get HBP as a means to getting on base.  

I can buy that HBP is repeatable.  My son played HS ball this past year and the coach would joke that he was a lock to get a hit, a walk, and an HBP.  My son called it his version of the cycle.  OBP was probably .750 on the season.  It was true for about half his games.  An elbow and shoulder guard are on his Christmas list this year...

• Upvote 1