Orioles 2022 #29 Prospect Edwin Amparo - SS

Tony-OH

Edwin Amparo
Pos: SS
Bats: S
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 17
2022 Level: DSL

Bio: Almost a mirror image of Leandro Arias (#30), Amparo actually out performed his counterpart both offensively and defensively in their debut seasons. Up and down to start the season, the 17-year old ended the season with a great August slashing .373/.424/.593/1.017 in 66 PAs over 17 games. He doesn’t have the footspeed that Arias has, he showed better power though hit hits the ball on the ground more and has less of a line drive rate. Defensively he’s considered to have good tools for sticking at shortstop with the arm to stay there.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Orioles 2022 #29 Prospect Edwin Amparo - SS
6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Elias is a sucker for athleticism and SS's who can hit from the left side.  What are the odds of either Estrada, Arias, or Amparo making it to Aberdeen in 2023?

Zero on Arias and Ampero who we hope can have good seasons in the FCL.  If they excel, they might get a cup of coffee at Delmarva.  There’s a chance that Estrada could start at Delmarva in April or June like Bencosme did and see Aberdeen before the end of the season.  

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Elias is a sucker for athleticism and SS's who can hit from the left side.  What are the odds of either Estrada, Arias, or Amparo making it to Aberdeen in 2023?

I agree with RZNJ for the most part, but some it will depend on their performance in extended spring training. Estrada obviously has the most advanced bat and he could be given the Bencosme experience, so he could find himself in Delmarva earlier, especially when/if Holliday is promoted to Aberdeen. Right now you have to imagine that Holliday is the starting Delmarva SS and Angel Tejada is the 2B to start the year. 

If he looks ready, Estrada could skip the FCL and go straight to Delmarva and play 2B with Tejada being more of a super utility between 2B, 3B, and SS on occasion. De Los Santos will be the 3B.

Now when/if Holliday is promoted, who plays SS at Delmarva? Adam Crampton could be there to play for a bit, but they may already have him backing up in Aberdeen. A healty Anthon Servideo cold also be a choice to hold it down for a bit.

I don't see them pushing Hernandez to Delmarva after his awful FCL season, so that could in theory open up a spot for Amparo or Arias to go up and play there as the SS but i really think the orioles would prefer to ease them in through the FCL.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree with RZNJ for the most part, but some it will depend on their performance in extended spring training. Estrada obviously has the most advanced bat and he could be given the Bencosme experience, so he could find himself in Delmarva earlier, especially when/if Holliday is promoted to Aberdeen. Right now you have to imagine that Holliday is the starting Delmarva SS and Angel Tejada is the 2B to start the year. 

If he looks ready, Estrada could skip the FCL and go straight to Delmarva and play 2B with Tejada being more of a super utility between 2B, 3B, and SS on occasion. De Los Santos will be the 3B.

Now when/if Holliday is promoted, who plays SS at Delmarva? Adam Crampton could be there to play for a bit, but they may already have him backing up in Aberdeen. A healty Anthon Servideo cold also be a choice to hold it down for a bit.

I don't see them pushing Hernandez to Delmarva after his awful FCL season, so that could in theory open up a spot for Amparo or Arias to go up and play there as the SS but i really think the orioles would prefer to ease them in through the FCL.

I suspect the Orioles might field two FCL teams this year like they did in 2021.   There are players like Luis Gonzalez (3rd try?), Junior Lara, and Maikol Hernandez who probably should return to that league.   We have a bunch of DSL guys likely going up as well.   I'm not sure about the pitching but I could pretty easily come up with two teams of position players.

I am not sure about Tejada moving to Delmarva.   He hit well but his plate disicpline was so - so and he didn't play everyday in the FCL despite hitting pretty well.   I would not be surprised if he returns.   Also, I have to think there is a chance that Carter Young returns to Delmarva to share 2B/SS with Holliday with De los Santos at 3B.   Why?

In Aberdeen you have Wagner at 3B, Bencosme SS, and perhaps Luis Valdez at 2B.    You have to figure that Trimble, Fabian, and Beavers are in the OF.    I know you think Valdez has no hope at 2B so it will be interesting to see if the O's give up on that.   He did play more games (60) at 2B than he did in CF (38) last year.   They might just move him around and have Young share 2B/SS with Bencosme.    You could certainly make a case that Bencosme and Holliday are both more adanced hitters than Young and have them both at Aberdeen.  

The reason most teams do not field 2 FCL or ACL teams is the 180 player Domestic Reserve Limit puts a lot of strain on pitching staffs.  However, the lack of a short-season A caliber league hinders the development of International Prospects.  It'll be interesting to see how this is handled going forward.    Will the cap be increased? Will the number of games in the ACL season be reduced and the length of the season increased to put less burden on the pitchers?  Will certain games feature advanced prospects and other games feature less-advanced prospects?