How much better would Carlos Correa make the O's?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm just spitballing here when I say I'm really not interested in Correa.  As mentioned, we've got enough SS/MI talent currently and on the horizon.  I'd rather take dollars aimed at Correa and spend them elsewhere.

I'm sure he'd look good in orange and black and I'd have no problem rooting for him if we landed him but I'm more interested to see what Henderson and Holiday have at SS and Ortiz, too.  Spending big money on a strength like this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  

There is no logic in drafting a kid #1, largely because you think he stays at SS and then watch him play well and then turn around and spend 9 figures on that same position. Its simply not a logical thing to do.  I refuse to believe that Elias would do it.  He is too smart.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no logic in drafting a kid #1, largely because you think he stays at SS and then watch him play well and then turn around and spend 9 figures on that same position. Its simply not a logical thing to do.  I refuse to believe that Elias would do it.  He is too smart.

Unless he has some intel on Correa moving to a corner outfield spot, which I am not sure if that's even possible.

I highly doubt we're in on him, I'm assuming we're kicking tires.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm just spitballing here when I say I'm really not interested in Correa.  As mentioned, we've got enough SS/MI talent currently and on the horizon.  I'd rather take dollars aimed at Correa and spend them elsewhere.

I'm sure he'd look good in orange and black and I'd have no problem rooting for him if we landed him but I'm more interested to see what Henderson and Holiday have at SS and Ortiz, too.  Spending big money on a strength like this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  

If you look at the Orioles' needs shortstop isn't anywhere on the list, and Correa is only at the top of the fans' minds because he happens to be one of the best available free agents in 2022-23. The Orioles have very solid Plans A, B, and C for shortstop for the next eight years, and acquiring Correa means swapping many of those options for players at other positions. Chances that many of those swaps will not be terribly efficient (i.e. we won't win all the trades).

Just go buy some starting pitching and maybe an outfielder.  The more moving pieces the less chance of success.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they can get a good SP without trading Holiday. I’m not opposed to Correa and perhaps they trade Ortiz if he’s attractive in a package for Burnes. I’ve mentioned getting rid of the low OBP guys. Adding high OBP guys like Correa and Benintendi would improve the team. It’s not my money and don’t have a say. I know the payroll was $40 million and even a jump to $100-$120 million would seem like shifting into the fast lane. But, it really isn’t as it would only be somewhere in the middle and well short of the $275 million that includes revenue sharing $110 million, $100 in Their share of the National tv deals, and the 52% of their revenue that’s not included in revenue sharing. Yes they have other expenses but even if it’s $20 million in other operating expenses your still not sniffing what should be available. If I was going to sign Correa I’d front load a contract and give him a opt out after 3. Say $35 per over the first three and a drop off after that. Maybe 8 years with 2 options= 10 year 35, 35, 35,30, 30, 30, 25, 25, options 40, 40. 

Give him an opt out after 3 years with 15 million term bonus. Then the option are mutual with a $15million buyout. So he can leave after 3 and definitely gone after 6 unless he defies age. 

WAR value in 2023 = 8 million the value should continue to rise incrementally. 

Hopefully you get 5 War, 5 WAR, 4.5 WAR, 4 WAR, 4WAR, 3.5 WAR. Even if he averages 4 WINS. That $192 in value over 6 years. You only negative $3 million or less than 1/2 a WAR. 

40 million, 40 million, 36 million, (after 3 you’ve won by 14 million)

After 6 - 40 million, 40 million, 36 million, 32 million, 32 million, 28 million.  $208 after 6 years. And 3 (24 million)WAR in 7 & 8.

I’m just spitballing but you probably want him to opt out after three and can get 13-15 WAR for $105 million vs $120 in value. 

Just spitballing here

Lol, Burnes for Ortiz. Not happening. Burnes isn't going anywhere without a top 100 prospect. The Reds got Marte for 1.5 years of Castillo who is a much worse pitcher. Marte was #21 MLB at the time, plus Reds got two of their other top five, including Arroyo, a borderline top 100. 

I don't see Correa taking less than 6 years at this point in his career. He has already played the opt out game. If we can get him 6/$208M, yeah, I would have to jump on that but somebody is going to outbid us. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Unless he has some intel on Correa moving to a corner outfield spot, which I am not sure if that's even possible.

I highly doubt we're in on him, I'm assuming we're kicking tires.  

"Hey, Mr. Platinum Glove Correa, we'd really like you to spend the next 10 years in Baltimore, but we're gonna need you to move to left field."

That seems to me to be a non-starter unless they throw him a bunch of money on top of the unwise amounts he's already going to be looking for.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, Burnes for Ortiz. Not happening. Burnes isn't going anywhere without a top 100 prospect.

More like Burnes isn't going anywhere without a top 50 prospect and a couple of other top 100 prospects. Cincy got 2 top 50 prospects for 1.5 years of Castillo and Castillo ain't no Burnes.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

"Hey, Mr. Platinum Glove Correa, we'd really like you to spend the next 10 years in Baltimore, but we're gonna need you to move to left field."

That seems to me to be a non-starter unless they throw him a bunch of money on top of the unwise amounts he's already going to be looking for.

I don't think we'd sign him with the intention of putting him in an outfield spot in 2023.  But if he'd be open to moving of SS by the time Holiday arrives and playing an outfield spot, that might change things.  Of course that also diminishes a ton of his value and he won't be worth what he's being paid, either.

Like the man said, just spitballing.  I'm not exactly rooting for that outcome and quite frankly, I don't want Correa as I don't see how he makes sense from any angle.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think we'd sign him with the intention of putting him in an outfield spot in 2023.  But if he'd be open to moving of SS by the time Holiday arrives and playing an outfield spot, that might change things.  Of course that also diminishes a ton of his value and he won't be worth what he's being paid, either.

Like the man said, just spitballing.  I'm not exactly rooting for that outcome and quite frankly, I don't want Correa as I don't see how he makes sense from any angle.

I think it's more likely that Correa would slide over to third, which of course raises the question of where does Gunnar go? Second? Okay, so then where does Westburg/Ortiz/Norby go? 

Correa just really isn't a good fit for us.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think it's more likely that Correa would slide over to third, which of course raises the question of where does Gunnar go? Second? Okay, so then where does Westburg/Ortiz/Norby go? 

No matter what you come up with, he doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Agreed. Last year, he might have made sense but Gunnar arriving ahead of schedule and Ortiz and Norby breaking out and becoming legitimate near-term options closed that door.

No doubt. Its apples to oranges this offseason.

Last year, it was completely unknown if Gunnar could handle SS, you had no idea what you had in Mateo and Ortiz and you didn't have Holliday.

And Correa didn't just post a poor OAA at SS, making you wonder if he has to move off SS sooner than later.

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Agree with SG, there's no way to cut it that makes sense.

But to your point about where does Westburg/Ortiz/Norby go, some of these guys are going to get traded, most likely.  I don't see any situation, even without Correa, where we keep all those guys and they're all every day contributors.  

This is a positive problem, a lot of talent and not enough spots.  I hope that if Ortiz gets traded, we've got someone that'll check on @RZNJto make sure he's ok.  Fermi, don't get too attached to these guys like RZNJ has, you're only asking for heartbreak.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree with SG, there's no way to cut it that makes sense.

But to your point about where does Westburg/Ortiz/Norby go, some of these guys are going to get traded, most likely.  I don't see any situation, even without Correa, where we keep all those guys and they're all every day contributors.  

This is a positive problem, a lot of talent and not enough spots.  I hope that if Ortiz gets traded, we've got someone that'll check on @RZNJto make sure he's ok.  Fermi, don't get too attached to these guys like RZNJ has, you're only asking for heartbreak.

Everyone knows Ortiz is good now.  That's not attached.  That's reality.   Keep up with the spitballing but please stop drooling all over yourself with you Correa to LF ideas.

• Haha 1