Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

I was working today and didn't suffer through his performance, but I'll go against the grain and say Fuji is still a playoff arm for me. He really isn't that wild if you look at his total numbers as an Oriole. Pretty standard wildness for a strikeout reliever.

He reminds me a lot of Tanner Scott when he was with the Orioles. When he's got it, he's dominant. When he doesn't, we're going to suffer for 3 batters.

He averages out to a useful reliever though. I'd take him over Baumann, Baker, Wells, etc. as the 3rd pen righty.

44 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

He is the perfect Kamakazi pilot......................one that cant hit the ship.

I don’t want to accuse you of anything because I don’t know your intentions with this. But it’s probably best to stay away from this sort of thing as how it could be perceived offensive.

40 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

I wish they would do something wih the hesitation in his delivery.  It may throw his balance off and give him an extra second to overthink.  Maybe a more fluid delivery would help his control.

I believe the chances of “fixing” him are very low. I wish they would do the best thing for the team and t him. He simply is not any good.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is not a reactionary post.  I’m done with Fuji.  I was looking the other day at who we could option or DFA if we needed a fresh arm, and he was no. 1 on my list.  Today sealed it for me.  The guy is simply unreliable and he shrinks in big moments.  If I were the GM, he’d be off the 28-man roster when we hit Cleveland. 

I had the same feeling today.   The talent is there but two things.  1) He does seem to have confidence/composure issues and 2) The 101 fastball is there sometimes but today it was 97-98 and when it’s in that range it’s like he’s toast.   

10 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

The Orioles need an off-season to work with his mechanics. I agree the pause at the top of his wind up is concerning. Please just give McDermott a shot. 

I love Fuji's arm and some team will give him a chance if can continue to throw it 100+ MPH. But you never know which Fuji is going to show up and when he's bad you might as well have a position player pitching.

Yes the likes of Cano and Webb have been up and down, but not to this extreme. An off-season of working on his delivery and mechanics is needed. Plus Fuji needs a slower breaking pitch to compliment his fastball.

44 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I was working today and didn't suffer through his performance, but I'll go against the grain and say Fuji is still a playoff arm for me. He really isn't that wild if you look at his total numbers as an Oriole. Pretty standard wildness for a strikeout reliever.

He reminds me a lot of Tanner Scott when he was with the Orioles. When he's got it, he's dominant. When he doesn't, we're going to suffer for 3 batters.

He averages out to a useful reliever though. I'd take him over Baumann, Baker, Wells, etc. as the 3rd pen righty.

No! Thank you very much. No more Fujinami this year. Maybe next year, one year older/wiser.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t want to accuse you of anything because I don’t know your intentions with this. But it’s probably best to stay away from this sort of thing as how it could be perceived offensive.

I’m trying to figure out how to ask this without being disrespectful or getting put into timeout, but how is what he said offensive? The term “kamikaze” is not considered derogatory nor a slur in modern Japan. 

3 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

I’m trying to figure out how to ask this without being disrespectful or getting put into timeout, but how is what he said offensive? The term “kamikaze” is not considered derogatory nor a slur in modern Japan. 

Would he have used the term "kamikaze" if Fuji was Dutch? Or Irish?