Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

He’s just not reliable from one game to the next, and he seems to do worse in high leverage situations.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he figures things out and becomes a dominant reliever, but it won’t happen in 2023.   There’s no way I’d put him on the playoff roster.  

6 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The early analysis in this thread that his fastball wasn’t all that nasty despite the velocity seems spot on with more looks. That’s the nut of it with Fuji I think. 

His fastball is fine. It’s his control that is sporadic. If he can’t throwing anything else for strikes he’s in trouble. Last night I was watching from a noisy bar and I believe he threw 11 for the first 18 for balls. That isn’t going to cut it….I was trying to watch….he’s hit 101-103. I didn’t see one last night but may have missed It . His issues are clearly consistent mechanics. That said…My pen is Perez, Cano, Webb, Wells, Hall, Coulombe, Gibson/Kremer (the one that doesn’t make the rotation, Irvin, and Baumann. 

His FB would be great if he could throw strikes with it and command his splitter. Unfortunately he can't do either. 

Other thing I've noticed is it seems he does the worst on the first couple batters, then eventually settles down, even when he's bad. He is always wasting a couple pitches to the backstop, a couple within a foot of the zone, then after a baserunner or two he bears down and let's it rip down the middle. And when he does that he is pretty good. Could they have him throw like 25 extra pitches in the bullpen to get the rust out of his system?

On 9/30/2023 at 1:56 AM, Chavez Ravine said:

The early analysis in this thread that his fastball wasn’t all that nasty despite the velocity seems spot on with more looks. That’s the nut of it with Fuji I think. 

I think his fastball is very good. Control is his main issue. When he’s throwing strikes he’s dam near unhittable. When he’s not MLB hitters can sit on the fastball 

• 2 months later...

Maybe a mutual beneficial reunion?  The market might not be there for Fuji. He could like our coaches and clubhouse. Maybe we give him a 1/3.5 deal and have all ST and season to build his confidence and coach him up?  He’d have the luxury of us developing him versus signing somewhere for more money and be thrust into a high pressure role. Also, it makes sense if we could option him in case he just completely falls off the rails and needs some AAA time. 

162 is a long season. We could build up his role over the course of the season. Having him in ST would be huge. But what does that cost?  It works for him because we could bring him along slowly and he could end up having a big year to hit FA next year. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe a mutual beneficial reunion?  The market might not be there for Fuji. He could like our coaches and clubhouse. Maybe we give him a 1/3.5 deal and have all ST and season to build his confidence and coach him up?  He’d have the luxury of us developing him versus signing somewhere for more money and be thrust into a high pressure role. Also, it makes sense if we could option him in case he just completely falls off the rails and needs some AAA time. 

162 is a long season. We could build up his role over the course of the season. Having him in ST would be huge. But what does that cost?  It works for him because we could bring him along slowly and he could end up having a big year to hit FA next year. 

All I can say is that it will be interesting to see where he winds up, if he gets a ML contract, and how much he gets.