“Orioles will significantly escalate payroll in the offseason “

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.  I remember the quote above about wanting to add “a bat or two,” but I don’t remember him saying a middle of the order bat.  Personally, I don’t know why we’d be chasing a bat other than a middle of the order bat.  As Elias said, we don’t have any glaring holes.  If you’re going to replace the guys we have, it needs to be someone better, right?  Otherwise, why bother?  So, my only question here is about what exactly Elias said, not about what I’d like him to do.  

We have glaring OBP issues IMO

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

If we are to take Elias at his word on payroll why do you think Santander is likely traded? Elias said "We see no real strategy in moving him and we’re excited to have him back for the next two years”.

I’m talking about the plan. If he said he wants to deal Santander he’d loose leverage in a trade.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I don't disagree. However, we're going to see zero Chirinos and Odor and a lot more Adley and Gunnar. I think SS is an area they obviously could improve in offensively. And I think Hays is a pretty sizeable drag on this offense overall, so some kind of solution there would be good. 

Hays, Mountcastle, Urias , Mateo, Stowers , McKenna, Nevin , Benboom all had OBPs under .310.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

We have glaring OBP issues IMO

This is becoming something of an obsession for you.  As discussed, just by replacing Odor/Nevin with Gunnar/Vavra and having Adley play a full season, we should be able to go from 4 points below average to 4 points above average.  I agree we should make high OBP guys a priority when acquiring players, but I wouldn’t describe the need as “glaring.”  It’s desirable.   We do need to replace Mancini’s 400 PA at .340 OBP with someone at least that good, in order to achieve the results I mentioned.   

I think Stowers and Vavra are sort of wild cards here.  Stowers had a .306 OBP in 98 PA, but over his final 77 PA, it was .338.   He played very sporadically, especially at first, and I wouldn’t be surprised if next year’s OBP was closer to .338 than .306, based on his minor league performance (.357 in AAA last year).   Vavra’s .340 OBP already was very good, but given that he’s consistently produced a .400 OBP in the minors, I won’t be surprised if he improves, either.

My assumption for Rutschman was that he maintains his .362 from last year, but he was significantly better than that for the final three months of the season.   So that assumption is conservative in my opinion.   Maybe Gunnar (.349) too, but I’d say that’s less certain.  

Then we will see Cowser at some point next year, who posted a .406 OBP across three levels this year.  We can’t count on him to do that in his first exposure to the majors, but he’s likely to post an OBP above the league average from the get-go, once Elias decides he’s ready.  

So, that’s why I don’t think we have a “glaring” need for OBP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This is becoming something of an obsession for you.  As discussed, just by replacing Odor/Nevin with Gunnar/Vavra and having Adley play a full season, we should be able to go from 4 points below average to 4 points above average.  I agree we should make high OBP guys a priority when acquiring players, but I wouldn’t describe the need as “glaring.”  It’s desirable.   We do need to replace Mancini’s 400 PA at .340 OBP with someone at least that good, in order to achieve the results I mentioned.   

I think Stowers and Vavra are sort of wild cards here.  Stowers had a .306 OBP in 98 PA, but over his final 77 PA, it was .338.   He played very sporadically, especially at first, and I wouldn’t be surprised if next year’s OBP was closer to .338 than .306, based on his minor league performance (.357 in AAA last year).   Vavra’s .340 OBP already was very good, but given that he’s consistently produced a .400 OBP in the minors, I won’t be surprised if he improves, either.

My assumption for Rutschman was that he maintains his .362 from last year, but he was significantly better than that for the final three months of the season.   So that assumption is conservative in my opinion.   Maybe Gunnar (.349) too, but I’d say that’s less certain.  

Then we will see Cowser at some point next year, who posted a .406 OBP across three levels this year.  We can’t count on him to do that in his first exposure to the majors, but he’s likely to post an OBP above the league average from the get-go, once Elias decides he’s ready.  

So, that’s why I don’t think we have a “glaring” need for OBP.

I’m obsessed with fixing it…. You mentioned Adley, Gunner, and Stowers 

the other 6 guys I mentioned need to be upgraded