Baltimore Sun: Orioles lost more than they won because of LF wall

Going Underground

2 hours ago, deward said:

I don't believe for a minute that this team, as currently constructed, wouldn't be winning a ton of games with the old configuration. I'm also still waiting for the promised influx of free-agent pitchers climbing over the gates to come pitch in front of the new wall.

I kind of feel this way too. The Wall, IMO, inspires confidence in our pitchers which is invaluable.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Quirky .. that far corner near Mr Splash will see lots of exciting balls rattling around in there with strange angles and bounces.  You wonder if triples to left have gone up? 

Has there been a big uptick in triples to LF in the last two years? I haven't noticed it. This team hits more triples than some past O's teams because they're young and fast, but I can't recall very many, if any, instances of what you're describing. Perhaps I've missed some.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know that I'd be against them having so much confidence that they metamorphosize into some kind of invincible and superhuman .

I've watched enough games against the Yankees and Red Sox in Camden Yards over the years to know our SP's rarely if ever looked confident. Having the Wall I think helps.

39 minutes ago, deward said:

Has there been a big uptick in triples to LF in the last two years? I haven't noticed it. This team hits more triples than some past O's teams because they're young and fast, but I can't recall very many, if any, instances of what you're describing. Perhaps I've missed some.

So triples by the Orioles at OPACY since 2017: 4, 5, 16, 3, 8, 9, 13.

Opponents at OPACY: 8, 15, 11, 5, 10, 6, 10

If there's an obvious trend there I'm not seeing it. Most triples go to CF/RC/RF. The wall probably increases triples by two a season.

1 hour ago, deward said:

Some people liked the years of barely over the LF fence  homers .. not my favorite part of the game .. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Some people liked the years of barely over the LF fence  homers .. not my favorite part of the game .. 

That's an aesthetic preference, which is fine. I've just been irked by most of the narratives around the impact of the wall on the fortunes of the team, which I think are overblown myth-making.

2 hours ago, deward said:

That's an aesthetic preference, which is fine. I've just been irked by most of the narratives around the impact of the wall on the fortunes of the team, which I think are overblown myth-making.

It works both ways .. yes the team is markedly better but you also can’t know how this same group would do pre and post wall.. because the getting better was only after the wall was already in place. 
If the wall was returned to its previous place for next year, then that would be a more accurate measure of how it affects the hitting and pitching stats of this squad of players.

But wall is in place ..and they are winning for whatever reasons . I am fine with it. 

Edited by tntoriole