Orioles Sign Franchy Cordero

Yardball85

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Hmmm well since it’s a minor league signing it makes more sense to me. There wasn’t much depth there and if Mountcastle gets injured then the options dry up real quick. 

I don't think it's a minor league deal.   I think he goes on the 40.

The "split contract" just means that if he is sent to the minors, he gets a lesser amount of money.

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

How does a split contract work? Does that mean he is optionable throughout the year? 

The Diaz claim made a little bit of sense, low risk and the guy can play a solid 1B. Cordero isn’t making sense to me right now

No. 

It’s all about money. If he is on the MLB club he makes more obviously. 

The incentive from the Orioles side is he would have to be willing to turn down a guaranteed 450k in the minors. Better odds he stays. Cordero if he is ever called up and then they went to send him down can decline the option but then he also loses that 450k guarantee. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Fine as a bench bat I suppose - really hoping they aren't expecting regular at bats for him.  Also, kind of redundant with Diaz?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cordefr02.shtml 

.221 lifetime batting avg., with a .290 OBP Doesn't seem like the kind of player I'd want to spend $1.35 million on - especially when we already have players who could produce at least that in the system.

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Why's everyone so up in arms over a minor league signing??

I don't know about, "up in arms", but I doubt they're going to pay him just below the league minimum to play for Norfolk. 

I don't follow baseball, especially other teams like I used to, but I've never heard of him.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't know about, "up in arms", but I doubt they're going to pay him just below the league minimum to play for Norfolk. 

I don't follow baseball, especially other teams like I used to, but I've never heard of him.

Sounds like he should be played for the Kansas City A's back in '56.