Orioles Sign Franchy Cordero

Yardball85

I have seen some guys but up decent numbers in the minors but struggle at major league level but Frenchy puts it to whole new level.  In almost 500 plat appearances in AAA the last two seasons he has 20 homers .310 average .397 OBP and .950 OPS and it not like he was playing in the PCL.  Then in the majors he just is really bad what is the deal here.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

The winter meetings have not started yet. They sign Cordero to a minor league deal, and some here rant all over Elias for this move. I have no idea why, honestly. They take a chance on Cordero and Diaz, probably see potential to make them much better. Apparently, it is stupid to take a low risk, low cost flier on a potential higher upside talent in a thin market for LH power bats. Check.

Some moaned and groaned about Cave, even after we knew Elias would DFA him and try to outright him. He does it, and the Phillies claim Cave. A team fresh off the World Series sees value in Cave. Huh, how about that. I guess the Phillies are fond of befuddling their fans too. 

I get the skepticism about ownership. We all do.  Can we at least wait until after mid-January to complain? What’s the rush? Maybe just wait and see what moves they do or do not make? At this point, if Elias and crew have not earned a little benefit of the doubt when it comes to picking up solid waiver claims and making them into usable pieces, I don’t know what he’ll have to do. We’ll see about trades and FA signings. No real track record yet, and until Elias builds a true winner, some will never have a reason to be upbeat about the possibilities.

Some posters crack me up. Not the ones who persist with the “print the playoff tickets” posts, but the ones who just need to piss and moan about something. Never mind, as you were. 

Did you see Rylan Bannon was claimed by the Astros? 

52 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

To the extent Eve giving Glenn Clark quotes about guys who fit our park and we think we can help, Diaz and Cordero together in one day I guess hint at the type.    One's a fluke, two's a trend.

Bingo.  These are two guys with big time raw power who have had success in the minors but it hasn’t translated to the majors.  My guess is the O’s have studied them and think they see some things they can fix.  There’s very little cost to giving it a shot.   And neither of these moves either constitutes or precludes the “one or two bats” Elias said he was hoping to get.   They’re just minor moves that happen every offseason as teams identify guys they think maybe they can fix.  

As to the $450 k guarantee, that’s better than offering Cordero a major league deal.  It allows them to work with him for as long as they need to see if they can get him on track.  

For the record, I’d say both Diaz and Cordero are long shots to turn their careers around.   

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If Cordero is DHing games for the Orioles next year, Elias' offseason plan was a giant failure. Not sure why it took a $1.35 million split contract to sign him though. 

Yeah.  These kinds of moves always mystify me.  I mean, I understand the need for minor league depth and that there are very smart baseball people making these call and they obviously have their reasons... but from the cheap seats it seems like you can get that kind of "production" almost anywhere.  

Considering that Cordero is an outfielder who bats LH and is a complimentary bench piece, and 3 of our main outfielders, Stowers, Mullins, and Santander need no LH compliment you have to wonder how he fits or if this could be a sign of a move yet to be made.     

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Did you see Rylan Bannon was claimed by the Astros? 

He’s been claimed and waived a few times, I believe, since being DFA’d. I think the Dodgers had him too, right? Our infield depth is ridiculous right now and he became expendable. My guess is they’ll DFA him too and hope to keep him in AAA for depth at 3B.