Orioles Sign Franchy Cordero

Yardball85

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Yeah.  These kinds of moves always mystify me.  I mean, I understand the need for minor league depth and that there are very smart baseball people making these call and they obviously have their reasons... but from the cheap seats it seems like you can get that kind of "production" almost anywhere.  

So why not get it from these guys?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

The winter meetings have not started yet. They sign Cordero to a minor league deal, and some here rant all over Elias for this move. I have no idea why, honestly. They take a chance on Cordero and Diaz, probably see potential to make them much better. Apparently, it is stupid to take a low risk, low cost flier on a potential higher upside talent in a thin market for LH power bats. Check.

Some moaned and groaned about Cave, even after we knew Elias would DFA him and try to outright him. He does it, and the Phillies claim Cave. A team fresh off the World Series sees value in Cave. Huh, how about that. I guess the Phillies are fond of befuddling their fans too. 

I get the skepticism about ownership. We all do.  Can we at least wait until after mid-January to complain? What’s the rush? Maybe just wait and see what moves they do or do not make? At this point, if Elias and crew have not earned a little benefit of the doubt when it comes to picking up solid waiver claims and making them into usable pieces, I don’t know what he’ll have to do. We’ll see about trades and FA signings. No real track record yet, and until Elias builds a true winner, some will never have a reason to be upbeat about the possibilities.

Some posters crack me up. Not the ones who persist with the “print the playoff tickets” posts, but the ones who just need to piss and moan about something. Never mind, as you were. 

True …but why pay $450,000 for a AAA player? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Because they think he has upside that they can potentially tap into and wanted him to sign here instead of somewhere else, and for him to stay if they DFA him at some point. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

@DrinkinWithFermi answered what I was going to reply. That may seem like a lot, but the better minor league FA’s sign for more than most think every year. That does seem a little more than most though. 

Any body want to bet a couple of draft beers that that 4A players never amount anything other than a crappy space filler? 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

@DrinkinWithFermi answered what I was going to reply. That may seem like a lot, but the better minor league FA’s sign for more than most think every year. That does seem a little more than most though. 

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

But yeah, seems that they like him. Power and speed are always a pretty sexy combo.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Any body want to bet a couple of draft beers that that 4A players never amount anything other than a crappy space filler? 

Probably not, but you have to fill out the fringes of your organization somehow, and sometimes those filler guys turn into Ramon Urias or Migual Gonzalez.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really I was talking about this guy….. are you in?

I live in Florida, my friend. Sure. It isn’t that I’m sure Franchy is some kind of great signing, he may not work out. But this is the kind of gamble you take. Sometimes it works, sometimes no. The ones I mentioned worked out. That was my point. 

But a cold beer, I’m down for that. Sure.

Edited by Jammer7

11 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

But yeah, seems that they like him. Power and speed are always a pretty sexy combo.

Probably not, but you have to fill out the fringes of your organization somehow, and sometimes those filler guys turn into Ramon Urias or Migual Gonzalez.

No thunder stolen, you put it better than I probably would have anyway.

Edited by Jammer7
Spelling

Have you seen our milb 1B depth chart?  This signing is a good move. He's our AAA 1B.  Tyler Nevin will be DFAd at some point and might be claimed. If not, they both fit as AAA 1B/DH/OF types. I don't see Mountcastle being traded before the season starts, but its a good depth move either way. I don't see Cordero starting the season on the MLB roster unless there was an injury.  After these guys, its names like Andrew Daschbach, TT Bowens, Toby Welk and Jacob Teter

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Have you seen our milb 1B depth chart?  This signing is a good move. He's our AAA 1B.  Tyler Nevin will be DFAd at some point and might be claimed. If not, they both fit as AAA 1B/DH/OF types. I don't see Mountcastle being traded before the season starts, but its a good depth move either way. I don't see Cordero starting the season on the MLB roster unless there was an injury.  After these guys, its names like Andrew Daschbach, TT Bowens, Toby Welk and Jacob Teter

I think in 2024, one of Beavers, Fabian, or Kjerstad is likely the 1B, but for now the O's need a bridge.  Does he crush lefties at least.  I assume Mountcastle will still be the starter in 2023.