Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There you go.  We are in agreement on expectations for this year.

Yes, passable mediocrity replaced with passable mediocrity. A lateral move instead of a step forward.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Based on his body of work, the odds are low that Lyles repeats his 2022. Fangraphs likes Gibson. Of course both have a range of upside and downside outcomes. If we were choosing between them to pitch Game 7 of a playoff series are you seriously saying you like Lyles or would need to flip a coin?

What Lyles does next year is irrelevant. He has been replaced by Gibson, whose own body of work indicates that he will most likely perform roughly the same as Lyles did for us in 2022.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No that’s not the case.

I knew I read something Tony had on him. Michael Young ended up playing first base quite a bit.

Westburg is a good athlete overall, but defensively, he's probably destined for second base where his below average footwork won't hinder him as much as on the left side of the diamond. He has an over the top throwing motion that can be inaccurate at times and he struggles to throw accurately when moving away from 1st base. At 6-3 and over 200 pounds, his quickness will not improve as he fills out which could ultimately pash him over to first base where his size would be a plus

What we think: Some observers and scouts feel Michael Young is a good comp for Westburg. While Westburg may not have Young's hit tool, he may have a bit more power and could have a little more defensive versatility overall. Westburg is similar to Conner Norby in that his bat will be his calling card at the major league level, but there is a chance that Westburg could become a solid everyday defensive 2B since he does turn the double play pretty well and his arm strength may be a tick above average at the position. If he's not traded, Westburg probably will get an opportunity to come into camp next year with a chance to win the starting 2B job along with Joey Ortiz, Terrin Vavra and possibly Conner Norb

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yes, passable mediocrity replaced with passable mediocrity. A lateral move instead of a step forward.

What Lyles does next year is irrelevant. He has been replaced by Gibson, whose own body of work indicates that he will most likely perform roughly the same as Lyles did for us in 2022.

You originally said you'd rather have Lyles. Now you are saying Gibson is likely to perform about the same as Lyles 2022. Those are two very different claims. Most of the projections seem to think Lyles 2022 was a bit of a fluke and Gibson is more likely than not to be better. We all agree he is not a needle-mover.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Gibson has a great start @DrinkinWithFermi isn’t allowed to enjoy it

I DO WHAT I WANT :awesome:

I'd be absolutely thrilled to get served a piping hot plate of crow and a tall glass of humble tea in the unlikely event that Gibson has a late career renaissance here and dramatically outperforms Lyles' 2022. That would be awesome.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

You originally said you'd rather have Lyles. 

With the caveat of "if we aren't going to try to improve."

I'd rather have neither and use that spot in the rotation on someone who isn't below average like Lyles or Gibson.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Ok. A lateral move and it’s December 4th and the winter meetings didn’t even start yet.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Likewise, which is why I am so unhappy with this move.

I’ve gotten that impression.  I plan on sitting back and see what else happens.  I don’t love it but I can’t say I’m too unhappy about it.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve gotten that impression.  I plan on sitting back and see what else happens.  I don’t love it but I can’t say I’m too unhappy about it.   

Hopefully the other SP will be someone who is well above average to help offset the Gibson addition as much as it can be.

If it's, like, Chris Archer or Adrian Houser, I might spontaneously combust in a fit of rage lol.

54 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I knew I read something Tony had on him. Michael Young ended up playing first base quite a bit.

Westburg is a good athlete overall, but defensively, he's probably destined for second base where his below average footwork won't hinder him as much as on the left side of the diamond. He has an over the top throwing motion that can be inaccurate at times and he struggles to throw accurately when moving away from 1st base. At 6-3 and over 200 pounds, his quickness will not improve as he fills out which could ultimately pash him over to first base where his size would be a plus

What we think: Some observers and scouts feel Michael Young is a good comp for Westburg. While Westburg may not have Young's hit tool, he may have a bit more power and could have a little more defensive versatility overall. Westburg is similar to Conner Norby in that his bat will be his calling card at the major league level, but there is a chance that Westburg could become a solid everyday defensive 2B since he does turn the double play pretty well and his arm strength may be a tick above average at the position. If he's not traded, Westburg probably will get an opportunity to come into camp next year with a chance to win the starting 2B job along with Joey Ortiz, Terrin Vavra and possibly Conner Norb

None of this says he’s not a good defensive second baseman

40 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Hopefully the other SP will be someone who is well above average to help offset the Gibson addition as much as it can be.

If it's, like, Chris Archer or Adrian Houser, I might spontaneously combust in a fit of rage lol.

I keep waiting on the Marlins trade. It seems we have plenty of pieces to include in a deal.