Orioles sign Kyle Gibson

eddie83

8 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

You don't think pitching with that Phillies defense behind him might cause his ERA to deviate from his FIP a little bit?  I don't think he's very good, but he is a useful back-end starter and having him pushes all of those deep depth rotation pieces we don't really want to use back one spot.

Yeah I think going from the Phillies to our defense is a big upgrade. I am no expert at the advanced statistics but I don't see any drop off in stuff like SO/9 or EV. I'll join the others and say if this is all we get then I would be disappointed but he should be a serviceable 4th/5th starter which we need in the event we get regression from some of our other starters.

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t get the hate for this signing. He’s a Lyles replacement who’s slightly better, and probably paid less than Lyles option. There’s no indication they’re now done with SP. 

We replaced Lyles with Lyles + 5-10% (if we're lucky) instead of replacing Lyles with someone meaningfully better. It is functionally a neutral move.

I hope he is a replacement for like Bradish. Maybe we are trading Bradish and Hays to the Marlins for Lopez. Then we are trading some young guys for Brian Reynolds who just requested a trade. We already have a ton of Gibson’s in the possible rotation with Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Voth, and Watkins. Gibson has pitched ten seasons with three of the being above 100 ERA+. 
Folks it’s time to wake up and hold folks accountable. We have been so mediocre at all we make excuses for poor signings ie He is Lyles 2.0, we probably got him for less than Lyles, we not done yet, etc. I don’t care how much we paid for him- it’s not my money. 

33 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No he isn’t. He is a durable 4/5 SP. 

Once again if they stop here I will be at the front of the line complaining.  

Agree to disagree I guess. He can eat innings and that’s it. And by eat innings we’re talking 5.1 IP/start last year. Not exactly my idea of making a competitive move. This is the type of move I’d have expected if they were kicking the can down the road a bit. 
The offseason is not done though so I’m withholding judgement. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Right? Right?!?!

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

See, the thing is, I'm not convinces he's any better than Lyles. Lyles had a better season last year.

Lyles had the better ERA but didn’t have the Phillies defense behind him. Gibson had the better FIP and xFIP. All things equal, Gibson had the better season. He’s a slight upgrade to Lyles. Nothing to be upset about. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

“Gibson isn’t the elite starter the club is seeking.”

Clearly not with that hideous 1.39 career WHIP 😜

But is there some reason why we had to sign a mediocre-at-best starter to go with that hypotherical elite starter instead of adding an elite starter AND a decent or pretty good starter?

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Not sure if he will be better than Lyles next season. 

Likewise. He could very easily put up another 5.00+ ERA like he has in a full half of his 10 MLB seasons.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

What were you expecting?

Improvement. 

Silly, I know.

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Improvement. 

Silly, I know.

Or maybe "lift-off"? I guess every team needs an innings-eater in the back of the rotation, but I'd rather give Kremer or Voth a chance to see if they can become that than paying for mediocrity. 

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

“Gibson isn’t the elite starter the club is seeking.”

Glad to see.    Does Chris Bassitt qualify for the Joe Flacco Super Bowl champion promotion to "elite" Scout badge?    For me, no, so that's code for Rodon or a trade to be named later.

Curious to see if LHP will get a tilt with Gibson on board.     Gibson is such a safety school, I gotta admit I'm wondering if the team might be better off with Andrew Heaney and Taylor Rogers.    I bet both could be acquired in the same ballpark it would take to land Bassitt, and likely with less years commitment.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

Or maybe "lift-off"? I guess every team needs an innings-eater in the back of the rotation, but I'd rather give Kremer or Voth a chance to see if they can become that than paying for mediocrity. 

I simply thought that the goal for this offseason would be to replace mediocre players like Lyles with meaningfully better players, which Gibson obviously is not.

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

But is there some reason why we had to sign a mediocre-at-best starter to go with that hypotherical elite starter instead of adding an elite starter AND a decent or pretty good starter?

Well, the obvious reason is that it’s more expensive and would require two multiple-year commitments.   One reason I think Gibson is okay as a secondary piece is that it’s only a one-year commitment, and depending on how our young starters develop, we may not need a “second piece” pitcher beyond 2023.  

But tell me, who would you have liked us to get for that second pitcher, and what terms do you think we could have signed him for?

• Upvote 1