Jump to content

Elias quote potentially tells us a lot


Sports Guy
 Share

Recommended Posts

This was posted in another thread by RVaBird

This seems to tell us a lot.

1) Urias won a GG at third but they aren’t counting on him to be there. Either this means Henderson is there or that Westburg can handle third. I don’t see any other scenario.

2) Westburg at second May not be something they are thinking right now.

3) Urias has yet to play in the CO for what I remember, so this is interesting for them to bring up.

4) Urias has the most value at 3rd base. If they are moving him from there, it’s very possible a trade could be on the horizon.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heard today Brewers Plan A might be to break in Brice Turang with Kolten Wong gone, and made me wonder - if Luis Urias was more of a 2B than a 3B - if a brother for brother trade might work.    Bumped into the trivia Ramon and Luis were both born June 3rd three years apart.

I think a GM wouldn't say a thing like this about a Gold Glove winner for a Westburg-level player, so hear this as another indicator Gunnar is 3B, not SS.     But grant also that's confirming my bias based on how they've played him all the way up.

Rooting for Ramon to find a suitable home where he can go for 550-600 PA again and maybe set himself up for a couple even nicer paydays before its over.    Feels tough for the '23 Orioles to be that Club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This was posted in another thread by RVaBird

This seems to tell us a lot.

1) Urias won a GG at third but they aren’t counting on him to be there. Either this means Henderson is there or that Westburg can handle third. I don’t see any other scenario.

2) Westburg at second May not be something they are thinking right now.

3) Urias has yet to play in the CO for what I remember, so this is interesting for them to bring up.

4) Urias has the most value at 3rd base. If they are moving him from there, it’s very possible a trade could be on the horizon.

It tells me Gunnar is at 3rd. Unless they deal Mateo. 
 

Perhaps he is trying to do what NYY did last year with basically 10 starters for 9 spots. They moved DJ around. Dodgers build teams like that as well. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It tells me Gunnar is at 3rd. Unless they deal Mateo. 
 

Perhaps he is trying to do what NYY did last year with basically 10 starters for 9 spots. They moved DJ around. Dodgers build teams like that as well. 

Westburg could be at third and Gunnar at SS..Mateo to UTI player.

I don’t buy that Westburg doesn’t have an arm equal to Urias and can’t handle the throws to third.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Or Elias just dropped this nugget to tell the other GM’s Urias isn’t starting at 3B for him next year so if they want him they should make an offer.  I think it makes too much sense to trade Urias this off season if they can get value for him. 

But wouldn’t Elias just tell them that when he talks to them? Why would he play cutesie with reporters instead of just telling other GMs the info? If Elias wants to trade Urias he wants as many suitors as possible. He wouldn’t hide that from other GMs. 

Edited by Ohfan67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming for conversation they do not deal any position players and If they add Bellinger they could have an OF of Hays, Mullins, Stowers and Bellinger. INF of Gunnar, Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle and for sake of argument Westburg. Santander DH. Vavra for bench bat plus backup to Adley is 13 players. 
 

Cowser is early insurance for the OF. Westburg is the wildcard for infield. Who knows how Mateo plays this year? 

You could have 11 for 9 spots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg could be at third and Gunnar at SS..Mateo to UTI player.

I don’t buy that Westburg doesn’t have an arm equal to Urias and can’t handle the throws to third.

Urias did deserve the GG last year. I would be surprised myself if they moved Mateo to UTI for Westburg at 3rd. 
 

I’m not saying that Westburg can’t be a 3rd baseman. Once we know what they think of him the puzzle pieces will fit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

This would seem to confirm that a 3B Gunnar, SS Mateo, 2B Urias arrangement is the current plan.

Not really a surprise IMO, that is what I already thought it would be if no one was traded.

Yup, Urias will spell Mateo and Gunnar on their days off. Vavra will probably slide into 2B on those days.

Basically, this is just telling me that the Orioles currently plan on giving Mateo and Urias full playing time.

I also think Elias puts a lot of value on guys being able to play a variety of positions all over the place. That’s key to maximizing your playing time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...