Connolly: Don’t see the Os going beyond 2-3 years

Sports Guy

Just now, geschinger said:

This is being greatly overblown.  It's smart not to set expectations too high in a year where (hopefully) the team gives a ton of ABs and innings to rookies and young players. They are likely to struggle initially and it would be irresponsible not to get them as much experience as possible  because they are trying to maximize the W/L record in 2023 and letting those guys take their lumps will lead to a worse W/L record.   

He is managing expectations so frantically because 2023 is another punt year. 

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That might be what you think, but stop making it seem like it’s what he actually said. 

He literally said the goal was to make the playoffs. Nothing about that says “punt”.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey welcome back!  Been days since you hit me with a personal insult.

There are advantages to being a divisional winner.  

I asked you if wildcard teams are in the playoffs and you said no.  Now you're playing the innocent victim.  LOL

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know, he has succeeded in bringing the O's back to a winning record and created a pipeline of talent for the future. That is pretty good for the fanbase. Overspending on FA's might be good for a year or two but remember that is how we got in this mess, spending on fan favorites like Davis and Trumbo instead of making hard choices to retool or rebuild. I'd like to see Elias pivot a little more but I also gotta like his discipline. Fundamentally I think he is on the right track.

PS People are expecting Houston because that's where he came from but if I'm not mistaken the only references he has made have been to Tampa. I think Elias will spend but more likely on guys like Adley and Gunnar where we have some leverage to get team friendly deals rather than on the open market where we are at a competitive disadvantage.

I guess we will see. But have you looked on Twitter or just look around on this message board. Most people I am seeing are not saying yeah it's okay that we are totally botching free agency and going back on promises made because we have a young pipleline of prospects. That in and of itself is not going to sufficiently satisfy fans, not with this orgs history.

The last time we failed because again ownership interference. Paying the wrong players as you mentioned (Davis and Trumbo) instead of the truly great one Machado. Going cheap on paying the wrong pitchers which in turn caused us to forfeit first round picks. Making silly trades to give up assets in years when we had no shot at winning a world series. We did a WHOLE LOT WRONG during those years.

Up until this point we had been doing a WHOLE LOT RIGHT. But to completely punt on free agency with a payroll as low as ours in self-sabotage. It's as bad as when we used to refuse to build an international program. Like you can't completely cut yourself off from one of the few ways to add talent. You are putting yourself at an unnecessary competitive disadvantage.

The thing about the Tampa model (and the A's prior to them) it is to alienating to fans. If that's the model we are going for, get used to a young team who is consistently good but never good enough, who will play in front of an empty stadium. 

Most people/fans (especially not the diehards) will not take the time and energy to relearn and reinvest in a roster every 2/3 years. That model historically speaking has never drawn fans. You gotta do more than be competitive. The Ravens will find this out if they decide to get rid of Jackson. The names on the back of the jersey matter to many fans (especially to young fans and non-die hards). You gotta give them somebody to root for/invest in/get to know/follow. That's why I knew that the Yankees were never going to let Judge walk. If he left what do you think would have happened to all those people, especially kids wearing those 99 shirts? Have you ever been to a game in Yankee stadium or heck for that matter Camden Yards when he/they are in town? 99 shirts everywhere!

Without that you are simply not relevant in your market.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It’s not a punt year. I think he should have not said or worded differently what he said. It was a PR mistake. They are running a business. 

I’m almost sorry I shared it. 🙂  I knew people would get worked up. Couldn’t help myself. 

What he said overall makes sense. It will be steady rise of payroll and not all at once. Now the heat is on him to make the team better this year. Let’s see what he does. 

3 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

That might be what you think, but stop making it seem like it’s what he actually said. 

He literally said the goal was to make the playoffs. Nothing about that says “punt”.

If making the playoffs is a realistic goal, how do you believe we leapfrog the teams in front of us from last season without making improvements? Or said another way, which one of the teams in the AL that finished better than us do you think we are now better than?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

If making the playoffs is a realistic goal, how do you believe we leapfrog the teams in front of us from last season without making improvements? Or said another way, which one of the teams in the AL that finished better than us do you think we are now better than?

Now this is a 100% fair question. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

We will get full seasons from our best players.  And almost all of our best players are young and reasonably expected to be better.  The plan is pretty clear.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

PS People are expecting Houston because that's where he came from but if I'm not mistaken the only references he has made have been to Tampa. I think Elias will spend but more likely on guys like Adley and Gunnar where we have some leverage to get team friendly deals rather than on the open market where we are at a competitive disadvantage.

Yes, this is the Houston model.  It baffles me how we can see how the reigning world champions have been run, how they've been in consistent contention for 6-7 years and then we have comments on this board implying that if the Orioles take that approach - it is toxic, hurts the fanbase, it's self sabotage.  It makes no sense.