“Lessen the pressure on Stowers and Vavra”

Sports Guy

https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/some-leftovers-from-the-winter-meetings

I really just don’t get this at all.  What is about these guys, especially Stowers, that the team doesn’t like?  I know it’s not K rates of Stowers because if it was, half the team would be gone.

They are going to end up making his value next to nothing. Either play him or trade him.

Agreed.  Stowers should be in the lineup as much as possible.   I see Vavra as a utility guy, so that doesn't bother me as much, though I'd like to see him used more as well.

One line that sticks out to me and seems to be commonplace with our Birds:

"Jameson Taillon received four years from the Cubs (for $68 million), and the Orioles are believed to have offered less. The upper layer of the second tier might unexpectedly be out of reach."

I'm tired of hearing this.   It doesn't need to be said.  Any Orioles fan is not shocked that the payroll isn't going to compete with NY or LA.   I can't imagine that Elias went into this offseason thinking salaries were going to remain the same on these players.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Agreed.  Stowers should be in the lineup as much as possible.   I see Vavra as a utility guy, so that doesn't bother me as much, though I'd like to see him used more as well.

"Jameson Taillon received four years from the Cubs (for $68 million), and the Orioles are believed to have offered less. The upper layer of the second tier might unexpectedly be out of reach."

I'm tired of hearing this.   It doesn't need to be said.  Any Orioles fan is not shocked that the payroll isn't going to compete with NY or LA.   I can't imagine that Elias went into this offseason thinking salaries were going to remain the same on these players.

That isn't good.  Shouldn't they have had projections on what the market was going to look like?  That's part of being a GM right?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That isn't good.  Shouldn't they have had projections on what the market was going to look like?  That's part of being a GM right?

One would think.   I don't know if this is just Roch conjecturing, or if it's something he's hearing.  Either way, it shouldn't be something that's out there for public knowledge.  

7 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

One would think.   I don't know if this is just Roch conjecturing, or if it's something he's hearing.  Either way, it shouldn't be something that's out there for public knowledge.  

Jimmy McMillan has to do the Oriole ticket promotions on TV and radio. " The free agent prices for players is too damn high'".

Hopefully it means they want to get someone who bats from the left side and can bat somewhere in the top 5 of the order so neither of them have to bat that high in the order and can be eased into their roles.

Realistically it probably means that they don't think either will be everyday players and don't plan on giving either of them a starting spot to prove they can play.

"... In his search for left handed at bats." Is "his" Vavra, Stowers, or both? Roch could use a better editor. The quote makes little sense as it is. How would another bat lessen pressure on these two? What would lessen the pressure is consistent ABs and job security. I really don't understand why they were promoted if the organization doesn't think they are ready to play every day. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta have plenty of ABs available for the Odors and Aguilars of the world 😉

31 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

With payroll as bloated as it is, it's just nice that they're putting in offers at all!

31 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm with you.  Free agent prices every year are always a little higher than what was projected because teams have to offer a bit more to make them the clear choice.  This should not be a surprise to anyone.  The difference now is that we are a competitive team with an upward trajectory.  We could have offered the same as the Cubs and had a chance to land him with good recruiting.  I wonder how close we were and why we felt we couldn't pony up a bit more (assuming we were in on Taillon at all.)

They can still play Stowers even after adding another LH bat. Why assume he is a given to play well? Mix the 4 OF’s and Santander stays mainly at DH. Cowser’s arrival will cause a move but worry about that then. If a Harold Castro type player is the addition I don’t think you will have to worry about Stowers not playing much. That idea would be laughable. 

Roch’s comment seems to be laying the groundwork for a SP signing but not a Bassitt or Eovaldi type. Of course like anything it depends on how you define “upper layer.” They certainly aren’t going to be winning any bidding wars. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

"... In his search for left handed at bats." Is "his" Vavra, Stowers, or both? Roch could use a better editor. The quote makes little sense as it is. How would another bat lessen pressure on these two? What would lessen the pressure is consistent ABs and job security. I really don't understand why they were promoted if the organization doesn't think they are ready to play every day. 

I would assume he means pressure of helping to carry the load. I don’t know. 

To me it would be taking pressure off the team to ask too much of them. 

4 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I'm with you.  Free agent prices every year are always a little higher than what was projected because teams have to offer a bit more to make them the clear choice.  This should not be a surprise to anyone.  The difference now is that we are a competitive team with an upward trajectory.  We could have offered the same as the Cubs and had a chance to land him with good recruiting.  I wonder how close we were and why we felt we couldn't pony up a bit more (assuming we were in on Taillon at all.)

The article isn't really clear on if it was the salaries or the years.  I don't think the salaries would be a bit higher than projected but this year seems a bit different in how many additional years some guys are getting over projections.

I would be disappointed if the amount per year was deemed to high, much less of an issue if it was more years than they were comfortable offering.

Edited by geschinger