2. (15)   Benintendi  5/75m White Sox

3. (11) Senga  5/75   Mets

4. (13)   Bassitt   3/63  Jays

5. (17)  Manaea 2/25 Giants

6. (21)  Syndergaard  1/13  Dodgers

7. (38) Stripling 2/25  Giants

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

Pretty good summary of the O's situation here based on available info. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/latest-on-orioles-offseason-plans.html

The names being mentioned are Wacha, Syndergaard, and Stripling for SP. I'd be OK with any of them, probably like Wacha the best. 

For LHB, the names are Belt (yuck), Gallo (yuck), and Dominic Smith (really yuck) for LHB. I guess the idea would be that Gallo:LHB as Odor:2B. I don't know what any of those guys would bring. Roch today floats Harold Castro, which just makes me sick to my stomach. Honestly I'd rather give more AB's to Stowers and Vavra than to spend any money on these guys.

Conforto jumps out as the name who could fit and truly improve the lineup but the fact that none of the insiders are mentioning him to the Orioles makes me think that nothing's there. 

• Like 1

I don't think Wacha and Syndergaard (at this point in his career) are very good pitchers.  If Elias is looking at advanced statistics to evaluate both, I'm not sure why he'd be interested in either one, other than just needing warm bodies for the rotation. If they're looking at SPs in this tier, I think they'd be much better off targeting Eovaldi, Manaea, and Stripling (in that order).  Zero interest in Cueto. He's been succeeding with smoke and mirrors for far too long and I think a move to the AL East would be an absolute disaster. 

As you mentioned, Rodon is probably a pipe dream, but would be an absolute game changer. Going into the Winter Meetings, Bassitt seemed doable, but probably not anymore. If they don't sign Rodon or Bassitt (or trade for a TOR) I don't think this team is a realistic contender in 2023.

I don't really like any of the offensive players, but if I had to take a chance on one it would probably be Conforto, because he's potentially a high OBP guy. I also think JD Martinez is toast so I really hope they steer clear of him. And Brantley's best days are behind him. He'd be a great clubhouse guy, but I don't think he has much left in the tank. In general (on the offensive) I'd rather than just not spend then to just sign someone for the sake of signing someone. 

Edited by HakunaSakata
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I still like Benintendi, but not for 4 years.

Why though? He really excels at nothing offensively and has been trending in the wrong direction since 2018. Let someone else waste their money on the post Red Sox rookie potential hype that just isn't there. 

38 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't think Wacha and Syndergaard (at this point in his career) are very good pitchers.  If Elias is looking at advanced statistics to evaluate both, I'm not sure why he'd be interested in either one, other than just needing warm bodies for the rotation. If they're looking at SPs in this tier, I think they'd be much better off targeting Eovaldi, Manaea, and Stripling (in that order).  Zero interest in Cueto. He's been succeeding with smoke and mirrors for far too long and I think a move to the AL East would be an absolute disaster. 

As you mentioned, Rodon is probably a pipe dream, but would be an absolute game changer. Going into the Winter Meetings, Bassitt seemed doable, but probably not anymore. If they don't sign Rodon or Bassitt (or trade for a TOR) I don't think this team is a realistic contender in 2023.

I don't really like any of the offensive players, but if I had to take a chance on one it would probably be Conforto, because he's potentially a high OBP guy. I also think JD Martinez is toast so I really hope they steer clear of him. And Brantley's best days are behind him. He'd be a great clubhouse guy, but I don't think he has much left in the tank. In general (on the offensive) I'd rather than just not spend then to just sign someone for the sake of signing someone. 

I think the team is a realistic contender even without signing Rodon or Bassit or trade for a TOR. 

• Upvote 1

Ballpark Dimensions (the Statcast podcast) put out a new episode digesting the Winter Meetings, it had a good rundown last 15 minutes of what's next, concluding with speculation around Orioles and Rodon or Correa.

More Rodon between the two, drawing the famous Cubs Jon Lester parallel.

SS Market - they had take MIN has a lot of eggs in the Correa basket.    If you are Carlos Correa, is more October glory accessible in MIN, BAL, CHC or SF?     Dodgers, Braves, Red Sox, Angels others with mentions.    The teams in this group who miss Correa/Dansby are down to the Jose Iglesias, Jorge Mateo, Joey Ortiz level, barring a surprise trade of Amed Rosario or Tim Anderson.

CF Market - TOR, SF and HOU named as good teams who can use a genuine CF.    Probably on short list of Brian Reynolds calls.    Cedric Mullins for Alejandro Kirk would be quite a challenge trade, and cover the 2nd catcher roster spot.     Sure, trolling George Springer's bridge too far defensive assignment some here.    There's too few chinks in the armor of that Toronto roster.

We've learned Elias has 10mm in 2023 cash so far.    Is there 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60?    

White Sox 2B and Twins SS were two exact positions named as replacement level killer scenarios for the moment among teams that want to be good.    Liam Hendriks mentioned as trade candidate if they leverage bullpen strength for an up the middle position.    So add to the trade wish list Connor Norby for Liam Hendriks next to Ramon Urias for Eduardo Rodriguez.    I do believe CHW near end of their payroll rope might value a minimum salary option.

If CHW year goes bad, wow is there business to be done between Clubs with best/worst farm systems.    Aside from rental pitchers, Tim Anderson could be a heck of a bridge to Jackson Holliday.     First try for Ohtani, but then when the Dodgers outbid you, go get yourself some stuff (Anderson-Lynn-Hendriks?) like AJ Preller getting Xander.

I think michael Wacha  would be a nice addition. I’d sign him to a deal up to 2 years in length, no problem. And yes, Benintendi does it for me too. He is a very solid all around player, nice OBP, and left handed bat. Not a power hitter, but really has no glaring weakness. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, theobird said:

I think michael Wacha  would be a nice addition. I’d sign him to a deal up to 2 years in length, no problem. And yes, Benintendi does it for me too. He is a very solid all around player, nice OBP, and left handed bat. Not a power hitter, but really has no glaring weakness. 

I agree about Wacha and Benintendi. I'd also be happy with Eovaldi, he always pitched great against us.

The Yankees are trying to buy all the best FA's. I feel angry that we have to be in the division with the world's richest team. How is it fair for us? In the other divisions don't have nearly as tough as we have.  We want Rondon, well so do the Yankees and money is no object. We have interest in Corea, well so do the Yankees and money is no object. The team with the most money is the best team money can buy.  What are all your opinions on this issue?