The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I have clearly stated my preference is to supplement the roster by trade.

And that I believe this farm is stocked enough to sustain that.

And you have clearly stated that you don't want big, long term FA deals.

So I don't know that we're that far apart.

Well, when you say less in free agency than Tampa, you lose me.

I would be happy to sign Eovaldi for 3/55. You would likely be disappointed. 

I don’t want to pay the 9 figure  8-12 year deals for the most part.(there can always be an exception)

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

They have the best farm in baseball... and it isn't going to run dry for awhile.

It sucked to slog through it... but I'm ready to see it pay off...  with the players we suffered for.

Since we suffered so much for those players, why not keep them and just sign FA to supplement the roster?

How many people predicted us over .500 last offseason?  FA is necessary when you have a middling team and no farm system. We have a over .500 team, and the top farm system. 

I like our guys. Let’s roll with what we have. How many teams are adding Grayson and Westburg on Day 1?  Plus we have Hall, Norby, and Cowser, right behind them. Let the pipeline pump. Verlander was never walking through that door. 

• Upvote 1

I’m in no way saying this is definitely true but I don’t think the person saying it is lying.(doesn’t mean the info is correct)

The reason I’m even mentioning it is because, if this is true at all, it could explain some things in terms of not spending right now.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How many people predicted us over .500 last offseason?  FA is necessary when you have a middling team and no farm system. We have a over .500 team, and the top farm system. 

I like our guys. Let’s roll with what we have. How many teams are adding Grayson and Westburg on Day 1?  Plus we have Hall, Norby, and Cowser, right behind them. Let the pipeline pump. Verlander was never walking through that door. 

A lot of things went right last season that shouldn't be counted on to repeat, especially with the pitching staff.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

One at short, one at third, one at second, one in center, one on the IL and the last on the bench because it is his day off.

You do know most international players are signed as shortstops right?

We have Mateo, Urias, Henderson, Norby, Westburg, Ortiz, Mayo, Wagner, Holliday, all gunning for infield positions in the next few years... and that doesn't include guys like Vavra or any of the Latin American players.

Most of these guys are gonna make the show.

Is it your serious contention that we won't have to trade any of these guys?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It wasn't a horrible thing for the organization.

It sucked for the owners that had to pay him and was annoying for the fans that had to watch him play because ownership wouldn't pull the plug on him.

It didn't do any lasting harm.

If you take an otherwise healthy organization and add a Chris Davis they are still fine.

Bull crap.  Wasting $163 mm on a below replacement level player is extremely harmful to an organization that has below average revenue to begin with.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m in no way saying this is definitely true but I don’t think the person saying it is lying.

The reason I’m even mentioning it is because, if this is true at all, it could explain some things in terms of not spending right now.

I've seen that before.  The guy has a decent number of followers.  I guess the question is, when does something like that become public?  Have we ever had a professional sports team sold and really not known anything about it until the press conference announcing the transaction?

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The one thing is the Orioles don't know for sure if they have enough playoff caliber starting pitchers. That's why my preference to supplement through free agency.

The Orioles could very well have a surplus of middle infielders and outfielders the next couple years. I suspect Elias will make trades to fill in holes on the roster, but I'm not certain if that will happen this offseason.  As an organization, I think they are still determining who they want to keep and who is available.