The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m willing to wait and see if he will do what he said he wanted to do.

I'm with you - I don't see why folks are doom and gloom right now. None of the FA pitchers are special and they all got paid like they are. Let's see if the Orioles can get a bat (Brantley or JD?) and a SP (Noah?) for a reasonable price. My biggest hope for the offseason has always been to try and lockdown Adley and/or Gunnar long term.

Edited by WietersCorner

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see that.  Although he wasn't someone I was interested in before the offseason, he could be a good get for us.  

Maybe he can have a career year or two here, although I think his career year could have been 2021.  And not that I don't believe you, but I haven't seen any reported rumor of us being interested in him.  If you're saying he's the last seat in a game of free agent musical chairs, sure, I believe that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-al-east-team-214203368.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAI3St151HeF083VYxLLPlhLRZpYceIoDHJhc08ThjBk2YRtRtIowYT-Xs3s7xHt8j7k8g9AxVEYr5xtelqSOuDWZi99LHMneujqjt876CNyRRa_IxCt77Pzj_YqNurn0bj6dlTaoUpX8botMp59KIcihEjEsQpfe9xP-_FU0JR15

This article says the Jays are interested in him.  If the rumors of the Yankees getting Rodon are true, I can easily see the Jays moving quickly and signing Eovaldi.  

I wonder if that interest was pre or post Bassitt?

Eovaldi gets a good amount of Ks and misses bats. He has given up his fair share of homers but that should get better in Baltimore.  He will also have a better defense behind him.

I see the argument for Bassitt being better, I said so earlier this offseason but I do think it’s really close and I can see an argument where you would really have Eovaldi in the playoffs vs Bassitt.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

That's fine.  I think he'd like to sign some other pieces but I think we all know who controls the purse strings here.  

Right. And I believe he knew what he had to work with before saying he’d like to get a #1-#3 starter.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I wonder if that interest was pre or post Bassitt?

Eovaldi gets a good amount of Ks and misses bats. He has given up his fair share of homers but that should get better in Baltimore.  He will also have a better defense behind him.

I see the argument for Bassitt being better, I said so earlier this offseason but I do think it’s really close and I can see an argument where you would really have Eovaldi in the playoffs vs Bassitt.

These are good points.  He also doesn't walk a lot of batters.

3 minutes ago, WietersCorner said:

I'm with you - I don't see why folks are doom and gloom right now. None of the FA pitchers are special and they all got paid like they are. Let's see if the Orioles can get a bat (Brantley or JD?) and a SP (Noah?) for a reasonable price. My biggest hope for the offseason has always been to try and lockdown Adley and/or Gunnar long term.

The market is the market.

The price of eggs has doubled in the last few years, I don't go to the store exclaiming that they are pricing the eggs like they are special.

That's the market now, they are being paid what the market says they are worth.

The only deal I can think of that looks out of place in the totality of the off-season is the Masataka Yoshida deal.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cry me a river.   How do you know the deadline trades didn’t help us long term?    Do you really have any idea?    As for this off-season.  It’s hardly over.  Even without adding significant pieces it should be fun to watch.  

It hardly seems that this is a team on its way to a 14 year period of suctitude.   But don’t let me stop you.

Why are you so aggressive today? No one else is acting like this. We can have a conversation without attacking people for this thoughts. Whether i agree with Redskins Rick or not, he deserves respect like everyone else on here. 

C'mon man, you are better than this.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The market is the market.

The price of eggs has doubled in the last few years, I don't go to the store exclaiming that they are pricing the eggs like they are special.

That's the market now, they are being paid what the market says they are worth.

The only deal I can think of that looks out of place in the totality of the off-season is the Masataka Yoshida deal.

The market at one point had META at $300 and TSLA at $400. Sometimes the market is irrational and you don't want to be left holding the bag. The Orioles are in a fantastic position, there is no need to take unnecessary risks right now.

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day I think one of two things is going on here with the 3rd being a combination of both. 

Elias genuinely doesn’t think this is the time to push hard for a FA SP and get into a bidding war or the owner is being tight. Certainly could be a combination of both. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why are you so aggressive today? No one else is acting like this. We can have a conversation without attacking people for this thoughts. Whether i agree with Redskins Rick or not, he deserves respect like everyone else on here. 

C'mon man, you are better than this.

Where were you yesterday? 😊

Just now, WietersCorner said:

The market at one point had META at $300 and TSLA at $400. Sometimes the market is irrational and you don't want to be left holding the bag. The Orioles are in a fantastic position, there is no need to take unnecessary risks right now.

Of course not, they can just hang out with a minimal payroll, never make the playoffs and make money for the owners.

They absolutely don't have a need to take on any risk.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

1.  Check your math!

2. Judges 162 game average, according to BR is 8.2

3.  Will he stay healthy?

4. How will the big guy age?

5. No better than Frank Howard, I hope.

2016 .3 

2017  8.0

2018  5.9

2019  5.6

2020. 1.1

2021 6.0

2022 10.6 

These are his WAR numbers by season. Obviously 2021 you can throw out. But, I think the mean is still 5.5-6. Now I agree injuries and games played are a factor. I suspect he in the short term you can count on 140-150 games. But that will likely start to decrease with nothing but age after 3 or 4 seasons. Any serious injury can derail the whole thing.

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In regards to FA, it's pretty much over.  There aren't many names left out there, especially from a rotation perspective (which was widely viewed as the biggest place this team needed to upgrade) that make sense for us.  You can say "It's only December 13th!" all you want, but 7 days ago "It was only December 6th!" and yet we're still here with Kyle Gibson.

Trades can still be made but I'm not getting my hopes up, I don't think Elias is ready to deal from his farm system yet.

I agree that this team isn't on it's way to a 14 period of "sucktitude" but this should have been a significant FA signing period for this team, especially in regards to the rotation and it's been a complete flop.  

I agree with pretty much everything you said here but would add "so far" to the bolded/red part. 

I'm disappointed that they let Bassitt go for what appeared to be a reasonable contract to a Division rival, but I also would like a left-handed starter to take advantage of that big left field in Camden.

I do think the trade market will heat up now that most of the bigger pitching names have gone off the board, but ow we need some of the bigger position players to start falling too in order to get that market to heat up.

We have no idea of Elias' ability to value major league league impact talent and what he's willing to give up in trad for it because we haven't seen him do it yet. We have however seen him overvalue players like odor and Aguilar and that concerns me, but those are a bit different than the trades he needs to pull off.

Rodon fits here like a glove, but I don't see the team shelling out that kind of money and years unless somehow, Rodon's market isn't where he's like and he comes here for one of those 2 years deals like Verlander with an opt out after one. 

The question is for the group, who are the other left-handed starters that might be available to trade that could fit here really well and won't cost the farm system to get?

• Upvote 1