If/when we are sold....?

doctorbj

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Billionaires living in MD ….

Bisciotti and Lerner.. no .. are the wealthiest

Bisciotti’s cousin , Jim Davis has 4.4 billion net worth 

The third richest Marylander is Mitchell Rales at #158 with a net worth of $5.8 billion. He and his brother run the Danaher industrial firm. The 66-year-old lives in Potomac. 

I have no idea as to any interest by any of these individuals 

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/steve-bisciotti-ted-lerner-7-maryland-billionares-richest-in-united-states-forbes-400/

I think Rales is a plausible possibility.  His family owns a spectacular art collection, portions of which are on display that is open to the public at a complex called Glenstone.  I know some people who grew up with him and they report he’s an avid sports fan.  

• Upvote 1

My impression from the court documents is that John Angelos is committed to selling the team. They already had a buyer that fell through if memory serves. It does seem a young up and coming team with low payroll (but tons of upside) would be an attractive opportunity for a variety of owner-types.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

My impression from the court documents is that John Angelos is committed to selling the team. They already had a buyer that fell through if memory serves. It does seem a young up and coming team with low payroll (but tons of upside) would be an attractive opportunity for a variety of owner-types.

I just hope that Elias et al aren't just here to be the architects and then leave once it's sold. New ownership could come in and do god knows what to what's been built the last 5 years. 

I haven't heard any headlines how the 4-year old Ripken-Liontree partnership has progressed but I believed when it happened it was part of Cal aspiring to be in the mix someday.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180807005468/en/LionTree-Announces-Minority-Investment-in-Ripken-Baseball

I have heard Aberdeen stadium operations not that robust :)

Edited by Just Regular

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just hope that Elias et al aren't just here to be the architects and then leave once it's sold. New ownership could come in and do god knows what to what's been built the last 5 years. 

If that happens, then this franchise is in deep doo-doo.  Any business person would have to see the direction of the team is looking up and that Elias is a sharp GM.   If someone would buy this team and change leadership, they either plan on moving it or shouldn't be owning a professional sports team.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

If that happens, then this franchise is in deep doo-doo.  Any business person would have to see the direction of the team is looking up and that Elias is a sharp GM.   If someone would buy this team and change leadership, they either plan on moving it or shouldn't be owning a professional sports team.

Question for me would be the other way around. Would Elias want to work for someone else? He has autonomy here. Would a new owner be more involved?

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, tntoriole said:

Billionaires living in MD ….

Bisciotti and Lerner.. no .. are the wealthiest

Bisciotti’s cousin , Jim Davis has 4.4 billion net worth 

The third richest Marylander is Mitchell Rales at #158 with a net worth of $5.8 billion. He and his brother run the Danaher industrial firm. The 66-year-old lives in Potomac. 

I have no idea as to any interest by any of these individuals 

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/steve-bisciotti-ted-lerner-7-maryland-billionares-richest-in-united-states-forbes-400/

David Rubenstein, Carlyle Group,grew up in Baltimore and went to City College.Life long Oriole fan and supposedly wanted to buy the Orioles a few years back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Question for me would be the other way around. Would Elias want to work for someone else? He has autonomy here. Would a new owner be more involved?

That's a good point.   I'm hopeful that the new owner gives Elias and budget and generally stays out of the way.   I could see him balking at a very heavy-handed owner.

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Interesting.. yes he is cited in the article as multibillionaire.. 

Maybe whoever loses out on the Nationals buys the Orioles. 

Who Will Buy the Washington Nationals? David Rubenstein, Ted Leonsis Weigh Bid - Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-24/who-will-buy-the-washington-nationals-david-rubenstein-ted-leonsis-weigh-bid

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

Legal question.  Can the team be sold to a group where Jonn Angelo’s is involved as a shareholder or as part of the group?

I like what he’s done up to this point. Looks like the inheritance tax would force the family to sell.   Can John Angelos be the point man for the new group?

I assume there’s reasons it can’t be done.  Just asking.