MLB Pipeline's Top 100 2023 Draft Prospects

From the MLB Pipeline list, I looked for names that would go with Adley, Gunnar, Jordan, Heston, Jackson, Dylan, Colton, Connor. I think the algorithm excludes names like John or Bill b/c they are not cutting edge.

So these are a few names to watch: in the first 2 rounds: Cooper Pratt ss, Tanner Witt RHP, Dillon Head of, Grayson Hitt lhp, Barrett Kent rhp, Jaxon Wiggins rhp, Carson Montgomery rhp, Parker Detmers rhp.

I think I am kidding about the names...

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, SpOkane said:

From the MLB Pipeline list, I looked for names that would go with Adley, Gunnar, Jordan, Heston, Jackson, Dylan, Colton, Connor. I think the algorithm excludes names like John or Bill b/c they are not cutting edge.

So these are a few names to watch: in the first 2 rounds: Cooper Pratt ss, Tanner Witt RHP, Dillon Head of, Grayson Hitt lhp, Barrett Kent rhp, Jaxon Wiggins rhp, Carson Montgomery rhp, Parker Detmers rhp.

I think I am kidding about the names...

RHP Grayson and LHP Grayson could be fun and confusing (for fans and opposing managers filling out the lineup)!

• Upvote 4

I think the middle part of the first round is a better spot to pick a pitcher than the top of the draft.   By then the high-floor hitters are off the board and there are risks either way you go.  I’m not saying the O’s should pick a pitcher this time, but I think it’s more likely than it has been.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would love to see the organization pull an Angles and draft all arms next year. I doubt it would happen but the organization could use an influx of good arms.

My gut tells me there are more variables wrt prep and college pitching analytics than with the hitters, and therefor Elias will still focus on the offensive side of the draft at least for the time being. Of course should some stud arm fall in the draft (like DL Hall did in 2017) I'm pretty sure they'd snap him up and damn whatever analytical shortcomings might be present. 

On 12/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, RZNJ said:

I’m calling it now.  Lol

Arjun Nimmala.  HS SS

1. Age. Doesn’t turn 18 until next October 

2. Bat. LH with plus power

3. Defense. Projected to stay at SS.

4. Tools. Projected all 5 average or better.

Couldn't find a college SS that fit.

Just looked up some videos and they show him hitting from the right side.

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think that would be a big mistake.

The Orioles probably would think so too so you have that going for you. Honestly, it doesn't have to be the entire draft, but at the end of the day, we can look at the system and see that we have depth at positional prospects but lack quality starting pitching prospects.

I know they think they can develop them, but and they have remade Kremer and Bradish (though they were both good arms and thought of as prospects before), but I'd like to see them use some high picks on good arms.

At some point, we are running out of playing time for guys who need playing time but are throwing out non prospects, even to start throughout the organization.

The other thing is we have not seen Elias show the ability to trade depth position prospects for upper level pitching prospects or major league ready arms yet. I know you are going to come back with something along the line of this winter isn't over yet, which I would agree, and why I said yet!

Either way, while I understand the concern about getting arms that break more times than not, at some point we need quantity to overcome that. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the middle part of the first round is a better spot to pick a pitcher than the top of the draft.   By then the high-floor hitters are off the board and there are risks either way you go.  I’m not saying the O’s should pick a pitcher this time, but I think it’s more likely than it has been.  

This is a good point. Obviously Rajsich had good success with that drafting Grayson and DL Hall in those middle 1st round area.

Just now, RZNJ said:

You're right.  I guess I messed up.   I just looked at the list again and he is listed as a RH batter.

He looks intriguing though. His swing looks a bit long and in an in-game video I watched his bat was slow. But then looks much quicker in a BP video. Also, at least a 70 grade name. 

27 minutes ago, joelala said:

He looks intriguing though. His swing looks a bit long and in an in-game video I watched his bat was slow. But then looks much quicker in a BP video. Also, at least a 70 grade name. 

Better than Ntema Ndungidi?