MLB Pipeline's Top 100 2023 Draft Prospects

On 3/3/2023 at 1:09 PM, btdart20 said:

Shaw gives me the Norby vibe.

Good comp.  He rakes - isn’t going to stick at SS.  Kind of a small guy at 5’10”.  High character guy with insane work ethic.  Team leader.  I’d be very happy with that pick.  

Edited by emmett16

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Good comp.  He rakes - isn’t going to stick at SS.  Kind of a small guy at 5’10”.  High character guy with insane work ethic.  Team leader.  I’d be very happy with that pick.  

That’s a pretty safe pick there and kind of redundant to what we already have in the system.  I’d prefer a higher ceiling HS player or the best college pitcher available at that spot.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:22 PM, RZNJ said:

Baseball America did there 1s Mock Draft 1.0

Carlos Callazo alternateed picks with a scout with Collazo picking 1st and every other pick.    He has the Orioles taking HS SS Colin Houck a RH hitter and thrower and a SS.

Obviously, his chances or anyone's chances of guessing correctly are about 1% right now.    Has has Crews. Langford, Skenes, and Dollander as the first 4 picks and there's a fair chance it stays that way but maybe in a different order.   Those 4 seem to be a level above the rest.

I do think the Orioles could go HS at #17.   Houck is a possibility.   Nimmala  the 17 yo SS from FLA is another.   There is a 6'5 LHP named Thomas White from MA who I think is a high ceiling pitcher who might go there if they decide to go high ceiling HS player there.

If the Orioles decide to take the safer route with a college position player I could say Tennesse SS, Maui Ahuna there.   He's pretty much a lock to stay at SS and has hit well but not a huge offensive ceiling.   They do like those SEC guys though.    Tough conference.

Another guy who might be there at #17 and some would consider a boring pick would be LH catcher Kyle Teel an athletic catcher who is not a slam dunk to stay at catcher but has the tools including a strong arm and has some offensive upside but probably isn't a power guy.

I could be wrong but I don't see the Orioles going for a college pitcher at #17.   The top tier is gone and the 2nd tier doesn't sound exciting enough for #17.     The two best HS pitchers or probably LH White and RH Liam Petersen.    White looks to me like he has the cleaner mechanics.   I'd be ok with him at that spot.   I like Petersen too but prefer White at that spot.

Law loves Nimmala and has him going in the top 10 while most others have him outside the top 20.   This kid doesn't turn 18 until October, or something like that.   The ball explodes off his bat.   Huge power potential for a SS.   The question is if he will actually hit advanced pitching.   There is risk there but there's a chance he stays at SS.

Think 2nd tier and servicible college pitcher with an underslot offer.

14 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Think 2nd tier and servicible college pitcher with an underslot offer.

I'm not sure it makes much sense to go underslot at #17.    I guess if they are looking to go overslot at #53 or whatever.    There is a Vanderbilt lefty by the name of Henry Owen who is around 100 or worse on most lists but Law said he could see him in the 25-40 range if he looks good.   He just threw a 9 inning shutout against an SEC opponent last week.   Big 6'6 235 Lefty.    He's the type who might shoot up some boards but might go there.    A couple of righthanders I like are Nathan Dettmers and Leve Wells but neither is projected that high but also might not be there with our 2nd pick either.  

For upside HS players, I like Nimmala who may or may not be there at #17.   He's a HS SS with possible 70 power and the chance to stay at SS with 3B a safe fallback.    Another kid who might be there at our 2nd pick is Antonio Anderson, a probable 3B with power potential from both sides of the plate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, RZNJ said:

I'm not sure it makes much sense to go underslot at #17.    I guess if they are looking to go overslot at #53 or whatever.    There is a Vanderbilt lefty by the name of Henry Owen who is around 100 or worse on most lists but Law said he could see him in the 25-40 range if he looks good.   He just threw a 9 inning shutout against an SEC opponent last week.   Big 6'6 235 Lefty.    He's the type who might shoot up some boards but might go there.    A couple of righthanders I like are Nathan Dettmers and Leve Wells but neither is projected that high but also might not be there with our 2nd pick either.  

For upside HS players, I like Nimmala who may or may not be there at #17.   He's a HS SS with possible 70 power and the chance to stay at SS with 3B a safe fallback.    Another kid who might be there at our 2nd pick is Antonio Anderson, a probable 3B with power potential from both sides of the plate.

Hunter Owen? He’s been Vandys best P this year above some other high ceiling guys.  He is their man.  

I think they go SS again.  Nimala, Ahuna, or Shaw would fantastic.  I love that they are building this thing like an old school college program.  Give me all the SS in the world and I’ll find a place to play them.  

Edited by emmett16

13 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Hunter Owen? He’s been Vandys best P this year above some other high ceiling guys.  He is their man.  

I think they go SS again.  Nimala, Ahuna, or Shaw would fantastic.  I love that they are building this thing like an old school college program.  Give me all the SA in the world and I’ll find a place to play them.  

Shaw doesn't sound like there's much chance of him being a pro SS.   Some, like Law, even question if he's a 2B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 10:26 AM, Frobby said:

Not at no. 17.   There are just too many possibilities at that stage for me to want to keep track.   

The Orioles went college position player who either SH or batted LH in 19, 20, and 21.  Last year they bucked that trend (Brooks Lee would have checked both boxes) but still went LH with Holliday.   Their very next pick was a LH college position player.

Therefore here are my best bets for who the Orioles take this year.

1. Jacob Gonzalez SS Mississippi 

2. Kyle Teel C Virginia

3. Brayden Taylor 3B TCU

4. Colton Ledbetter OF Mississippi  State

At least one of those guys will be there at 17.   Gonzalez is the least likely to still be on the board.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2023 at 4:44 PM, RZNJ said:

The Orioles went college position player who either SH or batted LH in 19, 20, and 21.  Last year they bucked that trend (Brooks Lee would have checked both boxes) but still went LH with Holliday.   Their very next pick was a LH college position player.

Therefore here are my best bets for who the Orioles take this year.

1. Jacob Gonzalez SS Mississippi 

2. Kyle Teel C Virginia

3. Brayden Taylor 3B TCU

4. Colton Ledbetter OF Mississippi  State

At least one of those guys will be there at 17.   Gonzalez is the least likely to still be on the board.

I'm not sure if the lessons learned from four top-5 picks (#1, #2, #5, #1) necessarily apply to a late-teens pick. The risk/reward profile for a HS arm might be much more intriguing at that zone than it was higher in the draft, for example.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure if the lessons learned from four top-5 picks (#1, #2, #5, #1) necessarily apply to a late-teens pick. The risk/reward profile for a HS arm might be much more intriguing at that zone than it was higher in the draft, for example.

You're right.  They might go in a completely different direction.   Nobile Meyer RHP or Thomas White LHP would be two high ceiling HS pitchers that could be there at #17.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The one guy on that list who doesn’t excite me at all is McConigle.

Same here. He is the one I am worried about being chosen. However, his first name (Kevin) is not first round material like Adley, Heston, Jordan, Colton, or Jackson. So, come on down Brayden Taylor!

I feel pretty confident that Elias is not going to use his first round pick on a pitcher based on history.  I would love to add a true center fielder to the organization.  I don't know if he will be available but Enrique Bradfield Jr seems to fit the bill.  80 speed with Kenny Lofton comps, sign me up for this guy if he slides to 17.

It would be nice to draft a few pitchers in the earlier rounds though.