MLB Pipeline's Top 100 2023 Draft Prospects

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I feel pretty confident that Elias is not going to use his first round pick on a pitcher based on history.  I would love to add a true center fielder to the organization.  I don't know if he will be available but Enrique Bradfield Jr seems to fit the bill.  80 speed with Kenny Lofton comps, sign me up for this guy if he slides to 17.

It would be nice to draft a few pitchers in the earlier rounds though.

I called out Bradfield in the Cambria Classic thread when @emmett16went for that very reason.  Some mixed results in the eye test it sounds like.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I called out Bradfield in the Cambria Classic thread when @emmett16went for that very reason.  Some mixed results in the eye test it sounds like.

He’s been playing like a man on a mission. I’m going up give him the benefit of the doubt playing in that weird stadium with a difficult roof and difficult batters eye.  He put up numbers in that tourney and really has stepped on the gas since.  He had 30 SB in 44 games and 42 BBS to 26Ks.  15 of his 48 hits are xbh.  By all accounts he’s a good character guy and hard worker.  He’s a steal at 17 and we’d be so lucky if he were available. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s been playing like a man on a mission. I’m going up give him the benefit of the doubt playing in that weird stadium with a difficult roof and difficult batters eye.  He put up numbers in that tourney and really has stepped on the gas since.  He had 30 SB in 44 games and 42 BBS to 26Ks.  15 of his 48 hits are xbh.  By all accounts he’s a good character guy and hard worker.  He’s a steal at 17 and we’d be so lucky if he were available. 

I was looking around at some mocks and write ups this morning and it sounds like he certainly could be a top 10 pick but also saw him as a 10-20 guy.  Guess it just depends on how things unfold.

On 5/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, RVAOsFan said:

I was looking around at some mocks and write ups this morning and it sounds like he certainly could be a top 10 pick but also saw him as a 10-20 guy.  Guess it just depends on how things unfold.

Saw him play a game as a freshman in 2021 v. GT and he stole like 5 bases or something ridiculous.  I’ve been a fan since.  His bat has steadily improved each year and ks have dropped

Edited by emmett16

• 3 weeks later...

Keith Laws first mock draft:

17. Baltimore Orioles – Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison High (Vienna, Va.)

Eldridge is an exit velocity darling but also a great athlete with a plus arm, and the Orioles have gone after those exit velo guys with high picks in recent years. With Jackson Holliday doing what he’s doing in High A, I would have to think the Orioles would be very willing to go back to the high school ranks.

https://theathletic.com/4539593/2023/05/24/mlb-mock-draft-dylan-crews-pirates/?source=user_shared_article

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Keith Laws first mock draft:

17. Baltimore Orioles – Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison High (Vienna, Va.)

Eldridge is an exit velocity darling but also a great athlete with a plus arm, and the Orioles have gone after those exit velo guys with high picks in recent years. With Jackson Holliday doing what he’s doing in High A, I would have to think the Orioles would be very willing to go back to the high school ranks.

https://theathletic.com/4539593/2023/05/24/mlb-mock-draft-dylan-crews-pirates/?source=user_shared_article

Eldridge's PG and USA Baseball pages:

Bryce Eldridge Class of 2023 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Bryce Eldridge Stats | USA Baseball

And his Twitter for the clips: @BryceEldridge2 (just need to get past the prospect posturing)

Pipeline has had 2 mocks so far. Callis had:

17. Orioles: Aidan Miller, 3B, Mitchell HS, New Port Richey, Fla. (No. 12)
Miller raked throughout the showcase circuit last summer and could be one of the steals of the first round after his stock slipped because he missed almost all of the spring with a hamate injury.

First MLB Mock Draft 2023

Last week, Mayo had:

17. Orioles: Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami (No. 23)
One of the college bats who seems to be floating up boards, and for good reason: Morales is now slashing .402/.471/.656 with a dozen homers.

Latest MLB 2023 mock draft

Must say I prefer Callis' pick at 1:17. I would prefer Eldridge over Morales as well.  HS bat may make sense here especially of looking for upside with high draft picks hopefully a thing of the past.  Can go safe college bat in 2nd round. and then a few arms.

1 minute ago, SpOkane said:

Pipeline has had 2 mocks so far. Callis had:

17. Orioles: Aidan Miller, 3B, Mitchell HS, New Port Richey, Fla. (No. 12)
Miller raked throughout the showcase circuit last summer and could be one of the steals of the first round after his stock slipped because he missed almost all of the spring with a hamate injury.

First MLB Mock Draft 2023

Last week, Mayo had:

17. Orioles: Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami (No. 23)
One of the college bats who seems to be floating up boards, and for good reason: Morales is now slashing .402/.471/.656 with a dozen homers.

Latest MLB 2023 mock draft

Must say I prefer Callis' pick at 1:17. I would prefer Eldridge over Morales as well.  HS bat may make sense here especially of looking for upside with high draft picks hopefully a thing of the past.  Can go safe college bat in 2nd round. and then a few arms.

Shame I didn't see about Miller before, Mitchell HS is under 10 miles away. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shame I didn't see about Miller before, Mitchell HS is under 10 miles away. 

I live in Spokane and missed the chance to see Zac Veen play in 2022. A friend had seasons tix and invited me like four times.  Less than 4 miles away.  

The Orioles have had success with both HS and college players in the first round but their hit rate on HS position players in later rounds is quite high.

2019  2) Henderson 5) Hernaiz 

2020  5) Mayo

2021   8. Willems

The O's org depth allows us to draft for ceiling.  Miller would fit that piece of the puzzle in addition to the hit tool, high EVs, defensive ability...  If he were healthy, it sounds like he had a chance to push into the top 10.

Aidan Miller stuff:

Aidan Miller Class of 2023 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA - ranked him 8th out of top 300 in 12/2022.

Keith Law projects 3B Aidan Miller to Braves in latest mock draft - Battery Power

Miller has impact offensive potential as he pairs one of the best hit tools among prep players this spring with plus raw power and eye-popping exit velocities. Most believe he can also stick at third base long term, which would bolster his profile’s value over him being a pure first baseman. MLB Pipeline’s mock draft had him going much earlier at 17th overall to the Orioles, while Baseball America floated him all the way to the Mariners at 29th showing just how torn organizations are on how much of his performance this spring is due to his hamate injury. Both Baseball America and Pipeline still believe he would be a value proposition at 24th, ranking him 20th and 12th in their top draft prospect lists, respectively.

Aidan Miller Stats | USA Baseball

@aidanmiller__ 

Another interesting name to add to the mix:  Brayden Taylor - TCU 3B 

Brayden Taylor develops into a top hitter - Baseball Prospect Journal

FG has him as 1 of 3 with a FV of 50 (behind Crews' 55).  His plate discipline, hit tool, and power seem to fit the O's profile.  151 BB to 135 K in college.  .315/.443/.600/1.043 college hitter.  Had a big Big 12 tourney showing.

Brayden Taylor Amateur & College Leagues Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Brayden Taylor Class of 2020 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

@braydentaylor02 on Twitter.  He's got a team vibe to his feed.

Kiley McDaniel mock:

17. Baltimore Orioles

Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison HS (VA)

The O's have a type of hitter they like to take (power first, physical skills/defense/contact as supporting traits) and they aren't afraid of the risk to get to a player's upside because they're good at developing that type of hitter. Nimmala fits that archetype and I think he'd stop here (GM Mike Elias was there with me to see Nimmala last month), while Colin Houck, Aidan Miller and Blake Mitchell all also fit. I'm leaning toward Eldridge here, though, as he's both local-ish from the D.C. area and is a bit of a unicorn as a prospect.

Eldridge is a 6-foot-7 prep first baseman with 30-homer upside, had some of the best summer contact rates, and has second-round talent on the mound as a backup plan. He's told teams he'd like to play both ways early in his career, which could be useful in the early going if he's like Brendan McKay and teams that have him as a bat simply misevaluated him. That package is enticing enough that I think he'll land in the teens for a club with a strong development plan.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/37748894/2023-mlb-mock-draft-10-kiley-mcdaniel-first-round-projection

Edited by calsmanystances