Your Offseason Grade Through 12/15

Roll Tide

What’s Your Grade   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade For The Offseason So Far

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/30/22 at 05:14

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

8 million versus $700,000. Who was the better value? 

We won't know that answer until we see how this season plays out. I don't see what "value" has to do with anything though. I guess it all depends on how you define value.

If you want to talk in terms of on field value then last year Odor as per baseball-reference had a negative value. As per fangraphs he was worth less than $4m (assuming 1 WAR = $8m).
Frazier, in the worst year of his career, was worth $7-8m per baseball-reference and a little over $8m as per fangraphs while he was paid $8m.

Either way you want to look at it Frazier is a far better player than Odor is. He also has defensive versatility and can play anywhere on the field so it's not like he is locked into 2B like Odor was. Frazier is the type of guy the Rays have been drafting, developing, signing, and trading for over the last 10 years. He's a good baseball player.

I guess it's semantics since value will mean something different to each person. I don't see how value matters to a team with such a low payroll though. If they were up against the tax or something it would make more sense to me to care about getting every dollar out every WAR you can.

• Upvote 1

Here’s why it’s an F and why it’s likely to stay an F…the Orioles are addressing the dumbest parts of the roster. They are going after a position that isn’t needed, they are focused too much on the idea of a LH hitter (and a mediocre one at that) and they aren’t addressing the top of the roster.

They are taking the chance they had to be really good and showcase more young talent and they are pissing it away on mediocre, overpaid players that aren’t going to move the needle.

It’s horrible roster management, poor planning, a lack of understanding of the market and a general attitude of being ok if you don’t win in 2023 because you are “still surprised” that you are in a position to win now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Here’s why it’s an F and why it’s likely to stay an F…the Orioles are addressing the dumbest parts of the roster. They are going after a position that isn’t needed, they are focused too much on the idea of a LH hitter (and a mediocre one at that) and they aren’t addressing the top of the roster.

They are taking the chance they had to be really good and showcase more young talent and they are pissing it away on mediocre, overpaid players that aren’t going to move the needle.

It’s horrible roster management, poor planning, a lack of understanding of the market and a general attitude of being ok if you don’t win in 2023 because you are “still surprised” that you are in a position to win now.

This sums it up very well from my perspective. 

They’ve failed miserably at upgrading the rotation and Frazier’s signing is inexcusable with all of the MI talent in this organization. 

I also agree that they’re clinging to this idea of the need for a lefty bat too much. Who cares? 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

This sums it up very well from my perspective. 

They’ve failed miserably at upgrading the rotation and Frazier’s signing is inexcusable with all of the MI talent in this organization. 

I also agree that they’re clinging to this idea of the need for a lefty bat too much. Who cares? 

It’s the new TTP

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd rather sign the best hitter even if they're right handed over signing the best left handed hitter.  They're letting the OPACY dimension changes to alter their thinking on player evaluation. 

I also don’t care that we’re grading through 12/15. Most of the impact players we could have used are off the market. People can keep shouting that it’s only 12/15 until they’re blue in the face, it doesn’t change that they’ve whiffed so bad thus far and there’s not many free agents they can sign to take this from a D or an F to a B or an A. 

• Upvote 1