Tex traded to Baves

bigbird

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked this in another thread, is Texas in a position to flip Salty for some pitching or with Tex gone do they need him? I don't know much about their farm system or the team in general. So if they are in a position to flip him, what kinda package would it take from us to make it happen.

I don't have a problem with us not trading for Tex as long as Texas' demands were more than Hoey, Liz and DCab. Anything else would have been too steep. Now the key is MacPhail absolutely cannot count on Tex to be an Oriole in 2009. We've got to get a young 1B prospect. I'd say the odds of Tex signing here are about 20% considering we are going to be competing with the Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Nats for his services. It's time for Plan B. Kevin Millar should not be the 1B solution for 2008.

ATL must not be as high on Salty as others are. They were playing Franco anmd Thornton over him at first, right?

He didn't get called up until very recently, and hasn't been very consistent. They were plenty high on him, they just felt he was redundant with McCann and that Tex would help them win now (and be a good bet to sign an extension).

This was a nice trade for both sides. As others have said, we couldn't and SHOULDN'T have beat that proposal. ATL has a good shot to win this year and next, so it makes sense for them to give up that kind of talent.

For us, it makes more sense to try to lure him away in FA.

Please, GOD, after the discussion of this trade dies down, can we drop this topic for the next 1.5 years?

I asked this in another thread, is Texas in a position to flip Salty for some pitching or with Tex gone do they need him? I don't know much about their farm system or the team in general. So if they are in a position to flip him, what kinda package would it take from us to make it happen.
I doubt they flip Salty...They probably will trade Laird now though.

I'd love to get Salty as a 1B and backup C (to back up Weiters, natch). We'd probably have to offer pitching prospects to get it done. Beato and Liz?

I don't have a problem with us not trading for Tex as long as Texas' demands were more than Hoey, Liz and DCab. Anything else would have been too steep. Now the key is MacPhail absolutely cannot count on Tex to be an Oriole in 2009. We've got to get a young 1B prospect. I'd say the odds of Tex signing here are about 20% considering we are going to be competing with the Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and Nats for his services. It's time for Plan B. Kevin Millar should not be the 1B solution for 2008.

I disagree. I plan on Millar for 2008 now, and move on to fill both LF for 2008 and 1B for 2009.

Archived