Tex traded to Baves

bigbird

Have some faith...why would Tex even mention wanting to play for the O's one day? Also Atlanta would get 2 draft picks back for him if they lost him to FA. This trade is a definitely a win-now trade

Something tells me he did this to get the Rangers to trade him to a contender so he could maximize his worth. Tex basically forced their hand. If he performs in the playoffs, his value goes through the roof.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edited above to the more likely scenario. No way the Braves trade all of that and let him get away. No way.

There is no way the braves give him 22-25 million for 7-10 years...That is what it will take for him to extend there.

I bet privately Atlanta would like to extend him but know they probably won't.

I think it was Olney who said Boras is going to be looking for 20-30 million a year for Tex in 2008. Angelos is going to have to pony up some serious cash if he wants him.

Who cares what Boras is looking for. If he's looking for that kind of money it should tell everyone that there is no way he's going to sign an extension. What matters is what teams will be willing to pay.

Boras is the master of setting expections high so that when the player signs for a lot more than he's probably worth the team feels like they did alright relative to the "asking price".

He'll get 25 million easily if Ichiro got 18 and he's in his mid 30s and if A-Rod opts out and gets 30.

ARod is the best player in the game and Ichiro was a deal that had as much to do w/his marketability as it does w/his ability. Tex is nowhere close to being the best player in baseball and he is not the face of the franchise. He'll be lucky to get $20m and is probably worth (in the bubble economy) around $17-18m a year.

He wasn't coming here, folks. Hate to say it.

You can't get him here if you don't try. They are counting on him coming back home as a FA. If he doesn't, they will have plenty of trade bait to get a good young 1b with Tejada, Hernandez and Bedard if he doesn't sign a long-term deal.

He'll get 25 million easily if Ichiro got 18 and he's in his mid 30s and if A-Rod opts out and gets 30.

No, he won't. And I don't see A-Rod getting $30 mm/yr, either, unless some team is as stupid as the Rangers were when he signed.

Who cares what Boras is looking for. If he's looking for that kind of money it should tell everyone that there is no way he's going to sign an extension. What matters is what teams will be willing to pay.

Boras is the master of setting expections high so that when the player signs for a lot more than he's probably worth the team feels like they did alright relative to the "asking price".

Hey and speaking of Boras - guess who Guthrie's agent is? Luckily we don't have to worry about that until 2012... :)

Guest oriofan8
I think it was Olney who said Boras is going to be looking for 20-30 million a year for Tex in 2008. Angelos is going to have to pony up some serious cash if he wants him.

I think MASN is reeling in the big bucks, so if PA still wants him, PA will get him...we'll see.

Archived