Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was talking about the offseason.  Hence, the Arreaz/Lopez trade comp, and the article linked.  Holliday could be ready by mid June next year, after the super 2 date.  

If he's up all year and wins ROY (or finishes top 2 I believe) then you get the draft xompensation anyway. I don't think it will be a question of holding him down until the Super 2 deadline passes, it will be more about him having to take the necessary steps to get to the Bigs. What about Elias history suggest to you that after slowly progressing just about everyone else, that he is going to turn around and fast track his prized 1:1 in Holliday? You may believe that it is best for the team to trade Mateo in the offseason, but a more likely scenario of that happening next season is the deadline when Holliday has had at least some time to spend at AAA and ready to come up. It doesn't make sense to create a hole (while even temporary) in the roster if this is the beginning of the phase where they are trying to actually win.

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was talking about the offseason.  Hence, the Arreaz/Lopez trade comp, and the article linked.  Holliday could be ready by mid June next year, after the super 2 date.  

I'm not trying to be a broken record, but there's very little chance that Elias sets himself up to get burned like he did with Adley on the elite prospects. In my opinion he will not bring Holliday up unless he qualifies and has a whole season for the ROY implications.

Mateo has cooled off considerably. It's going to be interesting to see if he can limit the lows and extend the highs. I don't think he would fetch a lot in a trade...there is still a lot of season left, so it'll be worth watching on how he performs.

7 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to be a broken record, but there's very little chance that Elias sets himself up to get burned like he did with Adley on the elite prospects. In my opinion he will not bring Holliday up unless he qualifies and has a whole season for the ROY implications.

Mateo has cooled off considerably. It's going to be interesting to see if he can limit the lows and extend the highs. I don't think he would fetch a lot in a trade...there is still a lot of season left, so it'll be worth watching on how he performs.

Mateo is worth his keep for his glove.

22 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

He's gone ice cold.   Really hope this doesn't last long. 

For whatever reason, the first month of the season, teams worked him middle-in. He was killing the ball inside.

Now everything is away. He’s like Kit from A League of their Own…can’t hit it, can’t lay off it.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That’s the key Mateo now has .282 batting average and an .842 OPS. Mateo is looking really good if he stabilizes near this level. 

He won't.  And he doesn't need to.

If he stabilizes around 750, with his other abilities, he's a good shortstop.

That's my expectation for him going forward, 750, but I'm probably too optimistic, as I often am with players I like.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

He won't.  And he doesn't need to.

If he stabilizes around 750, with his other abilities, he's a good shortstop.

That's my expectation for him going forward, 750, but I'm probably too optimistic, as I often am with players I like.

At .750, however, he's expendable with Ortiz and Gunnar in the organization. As I've maintained before and during Mateo's hot streak, he should be traded. I'm not concerned with getting a ton of value for him, I trust Elias to get decent value from a team in need of a glove-first SS with elite speed and some pop. Elias got great value from Jorge Lopez and Trey Mancini. I'm confident he can do it again with Mateo. And even if a trade doesn't pan out, the organization still improves by deploying their elite MI prospects at the major league level.

The major league team will be better off with Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz, and Holliday at different positions in the infield over the next few seasons.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

That was definitely true last season. And, that would probably be true on about 20+ other teams, but Baltimore is in a fortunate position when it comes to middle infield prospects. As long as he's healthy he'll have time to get straight, but it's not a for gone conclusion that his glove will keep him in the lineup if he's not hitting.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

At .750, however, he's expendable with Ortiz and Gunnar in the organization. As I've maintained before and during Mateo's hot streak, he should be traded. I'm not concerned with getting a ton of value for him, I trust Elias to get decent value from a team in need of a glove-first SS with elite speed and some pop. Elias got great value from Jorge Lopez and Trey Mancini. I'm confident he can do it again with Mateo. And even if a trade doesn't pan out, the organization still improves by deploying their elite MI prospects at the major league level.

The major league team will be better off with Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz, and Holliday at different positions in the infield over the next few seasons.

Holliday isn’t playing different positions…neither is Gunnar. (Unless injuries occur)

Edited by Sports Guy