Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s slumping a little right now. Maybe not striking out, but giving away ABs. Bunts don’t slump though. 

Sure they do.

You've never seen a guy flub a bunt?  Pop one up?  Bunt into a double play?  Hurt himself trying to bunt?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure they do.

You've never seen a guy flub a bunt?  Pop one up?  Bunt into a double play?  Hurt himself trying to bunt?

A single bad rep /= a slump. Now if he starts to flub, pop up, hit into double plays AND hurt himself bunting, you'll have a point.

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

A single bad rep /= a slump. Now if he starts to flub, pop up, hit into double plays AND hurt himself bunting, you'll have a point.

So you think someone should just go up looking to bunt every at bat?

Bunting isn't come cure-all, the success rate on bunts isn't especially high and they also are almost always singles even when you did execute one properly.

Can you think of a single instance in which a player "busted out of a slump" by bunting?  I can't.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s slumping a little right now. Maybe not striking out, but giving away ABs. Bunts don’t slump though. 

Slumping a little = a .318 OPS in the month of May so far. This looks concerningly like the beginning of one of those ice cold stretches where he reverts back to all of his old bad habits for weeks at a time. 

• Upvote 1

A very imprecise impression based on just occasional glimpses...and even if true probably just a coincidence...seems like he's been in better command of his fielding and throwing during this cold spell.

• Upvote 1

Yeahhh this was always coming. I tried really hard to not get too hyped about Mateo's April, and I'm glad I didn't. 

He swung at some absolute garbage in the last game. Fortunately, he also made some nice plays. He just needs to relax and wait for his pitch. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think someone should just go up looking to bunt every at bat?

Bunting isn't come cure-all, the success rate on bunts isn't especially high and they also are almost always singles even when you did execute one properly.

Can you think of a single instance in which a player "busted out of a slump" by bunting?  I can't.

He said "bunts don't slump though" and you said "sure they do."

I didn't say anything about bunting every at bat, or Mateo playing CF or the Webb telescope spying on high schools. That's a red herring.

I'm not sure why you challenged his innocuous comment about bunts not slumping in the first place. It was a throw away line, not a proposal to get through cold spells by bunting every AB.

Maybe if the Orioles stop moving him up in the order, he'll stop trying to become something he's not.  This all started when he was elevated to higher spots.  Just leave him in the 9 spot, with Henderson batting 8th.  The Atlanta game where they had Henderson batting 4th was inexcusable, as Henderson is clearly struggling and hadn't done anything to warrant being moved into a key spot in the batting order.  

On 5/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, Bemorewins said:

If he's up all year and wins ROY (or finishes top 2 I believe) then you get the draft xompensation anyway. I don't think it will be a question of holding him down until the Super 2 deadline passes, it will be more about him having to take the necessary steps to get to the Bigs. What about Elias history suggest to you that after slowly progressing just about everyone else, that he is going to turn around and fast track his prized 1:1 in Holliday? You may believe that it is best for the team to trade Mateo in the offseason, but a more likely scenario of that happening next season is the deadline when Holliday has had at least some time to spend at AAA and ready to come up. It doesn't make sense to create a hole (while even temporary) in the roster if this is the beginning of the phase where they are trying to actually win.

I’d say it depends on how Henderson is playing by the end of the year.  If he’s gotten past his current hiccups, you put him or Ortiz at SS, with Urias and Westburg filling the other slots.  We easily can afford to trade Mateo if the return is good.  We could do it tomorrow.