Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

He was hitting outside stuff fine during his hot streak.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jorge-mateo/17273/heat-maps?position=OF&ss=2023-03-30&se=2023-05-19&type=0&hand=all&count=all&blur=1&grid=10&view=bat&pitch=&season=all&data=

Not according to the FG heat maps.

Also, according to baseball savant, the offspeed stuff is hurting him this year.

Thats what we see. Fastballs that are middle in, he has done a great job on. Anything away, whether it be right on the corner or off the plate, he’s struggling with and if you throw offspeed stuff out there, he’s not coming close.

Mateo’s problems are all about opening up his hips too soon.  Early in the year he was laying off the balls off of the outside corner.  He was ambushing breaking pitches left inner half and even blasting some that drifted middle to outer half.  He was keeping that front hip closed and generating a lot of power when he did open up.   

I originally thought that hip thing where he pulled up running to 1B and missed 2 games might have something to do with it but he hit 2 or 3 homers after that.  I think Frobby has the timing right for when he started going bad again.  Maybe hitting the homers got him thinking he could open up and hit them whenever he wanted to.

Soon after, his power was sapped.  He was making weak contact on outside fastballs.  He’s still not striking out as much as last year’s horrible Jorge.  He seems to wait longer to make his swing decision.  Unfortunately, the hip still opens up to early which both saps his power and makes him have to reach for anything on the outside corner.   Bad Jorge!  Go away.  Good Jorge.  Please come back!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jorge-mateo/17273/heat-maps?position=OF&ss=2023-03-30&se=2023-05-19&type=0&hand=all&count=all&blur=1&grid=10&view=bat&pitch=&season=all&data=

Not according to the FG heat maps.

Also, according to baseball savant, the offspeed stuff is hurting him this year.

Thats what we see. Fastballs that are middle in, he has done a great job on. Anything away, whether it be right on the corner or off the plate, he’s struggling with and if you throw offspeed stuff out there, he’s not coming close.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the chart you are showing above just shows the percentage of pitches thrown in each zone, for the full season.  

Here’s a chart showing Ave./P for March/April.   And here’s one for May.  Comparing them, I see that Mateo was vulnerable in March/April if the pitch hit the outer black, but he otherwise was pretty successful on pitches on the outer half of the plate, whereas in May he’s been terrible almost anywhere on the outer half.  At least, that’s my reading.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the chart you are showing above just shows the percentage of pitches thrown in each zone, for the full season.  

Here’s a chart showing Ave./P for March/April.   And here’s one for May.  Comparing them, I see that Mateo was vulnerable in March/April if the pitch hit the outer black, but he otherwise was pretty successful on pitches on the outer half of the plate, whereas in May he’s been terrible almost anywhere on the outer half.  At least, that’s my reading.  

Which is what I said..pitches on the black and outside of the zone are his issues.  This month, other things are his issue as well but that outer part and just off the plate is always his issue.  As was said, he’s like Jones and struggles to lay off of it.

Umlike Jones though, he doesn’t have the bat control to hit that ball into RF all that often. Jones was still able to hit 280ish a lot of seasons. Mateo can’t do that.