Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Mateo can not hit and there's little to suggest he will.  It doesn't have to me a big offer.  If you can get anything of value for Mateo, I'd make the deal.

In a different park, where his slugging could be better, I think he has a chance to be a 680-700 OPS guy.

My concern would be can he continue to play at the level defensively he did last year because if he doesn’t, that value takes a significant hit. 

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

His oWAR was 1.9 last year, good for fifth on the team.

Only about a dozen shortstops can hit.

If Mateo could hit he would be looking at a $20M+ annual contract.

Well the good thing is that the market eventually tells you what a player is worth.  Guess we'll find out.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised the return if a trade happens.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Well the good thing is that the market eventually tells you what a player is worth.  Guess we'll find out.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised the return if a trade happens.

I wonder what value he has?  Only one good year in his ML career which was preceded by a pretty mediocre MiL career.

But he has a lot of traits people like, so I can see the value being decent…at least enough to trade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder what value he has?  Only one good year in his ML career which was preceded by a pretty mediocre MiL career.

But he has a lot of traits people like, so I can see the value being decent…at least enough to trade.

I just can't see him bringing much all by himself.  As the second piece in a trade, i.e. Mullins-Mateo or Hays-Mateo or Santander-Mateo, I can see a decent return.  But Mateo for ?  I just don't see more than a prospect.  Not saying I wouldn't trade him for that, depending on the prospect.  But, I doubt that Mateo can bring back a useful major league piece in a player for player deal.

Just now, NCRaven said:

I just can't see him bringing much all by himself.  As the second piece in a trade, i.e. Mullins-Mateo or Hays-Mateo or Santander-Mateo, I can see a decent return.  But Mateo for ?  I just don't see more than a prospect.  Not saying I wouldn't trade him for that, depending on the prospect.  But, I doubt that Mateo can bring back a useful major league piece in a player for player deal.

It’s not Hays-Mateo..it would Mateo-Hays.

I’m not sure I disagree with you all that much but I could see a scenario where Mateo could be flipped for a guy like Carrasco.  Not saying the Mets want Mateo but the idea of us taking back a useful player who has a good salary that their team wants to get rid of.  I could see that.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If the return was right yes. Can't be rolling the dice on international prospects or getting  Vavra/Nevin level prospects. 

So far, Bradish is all Elias has to show at the major league level from his trades of Bleier, Givens, Castro, Bundy and Iglesias. Vavra has a chance to play at the major league level if someone is willing to live with his defense at second base or he gets better in the OF, but Nevin is not a major leaguer no matter how long Elias keeps him on the 40-man roster.

Respectively disagree. He is blocking better players, and we can't afford another 500 AB's with his OPS

Urias/Westburg at 3B, Henderson/Ortiz at SS, Vavra/Frazier at 2B and Mateo somewhere else for whatever we can get is a much stronger roster

Keith Law in his article on the Dansby Swanson signing :

I’ll reiterate what I wrote after Carlos Correa signed — the Orioles are sitting on a small gold mine, with shortstops coming out of both of Mike Elias’ ears. Jorge Mateo shouldn’t be on this roster when spring training opens, as he’s more valuable in a trade than he is to a team with Gunnar Henderson and Joey Ortiz on the 40-man. And if I’m, say, the Marlins, I’m trying to build a prospect package with the Orioles that sends them Pablo Lopez and brings Ortiz back in the deal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LTO's said:

Keith Law in his article on the Dansby Swanson signing :

I’ll reiterate what I wrote after Carlos Correa signed — the Orioles are sitting on a small gold mine, with shortstops coming out of both of Mike Elias’ ears. Jorge Mateo shouldn’t be on this roster when spring training opens, as he’s more valuable in a trade than he is to a team with Gunnar Henderson and Joey Ortiz on the 40-man. And if I’m, say, the Marlins, I’m trying to build a prospect package with the Orioles that sends them Pablo Lopez and brings Ortiz back in the deal.

Yep… but I’d rather trade Mateo and Urias and keep Ortiz

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not Hays-Mateo..it would Mateo-Hays.

I’m not sure I disagree with you all that much but I could see a scenario where Mateo could be flipped for a guy like Carrasco.  Not saying the Mets want Mateo but the idea of us taking back a useful player who has a good salary that their team wants to get rid of.  I could see that.

Ah, Mateo for Max Kepler + a prospect?    Kepler should be better than he is offensively but he's below average.  However, he's a plus defensive RF.   I could see them rotating him into the OF/DH mix.    He's a pull hitter who should be helped by the no shift also.  The problem is trading 3 years of Mateo for 1 year of Kepler so Minnesota has to add something, I think.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ah, Mateo for Max Kepler + a prospect?    Kepler should be better than he is offensively but he's below average.  However, he's a plus defensive RF.   I could see them rotating him into the OF/DH mix.    He's a pull hitter who should be helped by the no shift also.  The problem is trading 3 years of Mateo for 1 year of Kepler so Minnesota has to add something, I think.

I have seen this mentioned. Could be something I could get behind. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have seen this mentioned. Could be something I could get behind. 

I'm not on board with current value.  My opinion, if we (and others) value him at 2.5 WAR for the next 3 years, he's got ~$50+ mil in surplus value.  We should be looking for multiple pitching prospects in return who are near ready.

Like the potential LAD deal, with Miller or Stone headlining, and maybe even May as an alternative.  

BTV does not value him close to this obviously, but if we're getting back Kepler for a year, I see little there.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tough call, but I tend to agree.  

I’d be ok with going young since we really aren’t signing difference makers. Move Urias, Mateo, Mullins, and Santander. 

Bring up Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, and Norby. You can send the guy not ready back down. Grab prospects for these guys ….hopefully quality over quantity.