Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

The Twins are interested maybe we can trade him for Buxton and his 60 games a season he plays on average over the last 5 years.  Yes I know the Twins won’t trade him but at some point if I am the Twins you have to realize he can’t stay healthy enough to help your team and make his inability to stay on the field someone else’s problem the same thing with Royce Lewis although he is younger.  

9 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I just can't see him bringing much all by himself.  As the second piece in a trade, i.e. Mullins-Mateo or Hays-Mateo or Santander-Mateo, I can see a decent return.  But Mateo for ?  I just don't see more than a prospect.  Not saying I wouldn't trade him for that, depending on the prospect.  But, I doubt that Mateo can bring back a useful major league piece in a player for player deal.

He's one of the best defensive shortstops in all of baseball. He has value. A shortstop coming off a 3.4 WAR season and with plenty of years of team control is an asset. You are not going to get a star player for him, but you can get something valuable, especially if you are willing to take on some payroll. 

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

The Twins are interested maybe we can trade him for Buxton and his 60 games a season he plays on average over the last 5 years.  Yes I know the Twins won’t trade him but at some point if I am the Twins you have to realize he can’t stay healthy enough to help your team and make his inability to stay on the field someone else’s problem the same thing with Royce Lewis although he is younger.  

I would be the happiest man in the world if the Orioles could get Buxton, but that's hard to envision. Maybe in a deal where you trade Mateo with one of our outfielders plus a lesser prospect. Buxton is signed through 2028 and is extremely valuable when healthy. I know he's usually only good for about half a season but when he's on the field he makes a big difference. 

6 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I'm not on board with current value.  My opinion, if we (and others) value him at 2.5 WAR for the next 3 years, he's got ~$50+ mil in surplus value.  We should be looking for multiple pitching prospects in return who are near ready.

Like the potential LAD deal, with Miller or Stone headlining, and maybe even May as an alternative.  

BTV does not value him close to this obviously, but if we're getting back Kepler for a year, I see little there.

If the Dodgers come calling offering one of their top pitching prospects then I think it’s a trade we have to make. Especially given our depth. 

7 hours ago, crawjo said:

He's one of the best defensive shortstops in all of baseball. He has value. A shortstop coming off a 3.4 WAR season and with plenty of years of team control is an asset. You are not going to get a star player for him, but you can get something valuable, especially if you are willing to take on some payroll. 

I think they should get the best bundle of prospects. It’s clear to me that winning isn’t the priority yet. So keep building the pile. Now the key piece should be a nearly ready SP. 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Giants need a shortstop now. Do they have anyone you want?

They really don't "need" a SS since they have Crawford under contract for another year. Longer term there's a need, but I'd rank them pretty low on the list of teams that might be interested in Mateo.

Edited by HakunaSakata
  • Like 1