Mateo Trade Potential

RVAOsFan

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If the Twins are interested, I would focus on pitching. Kepler just seems like another Adam Frazier type who doesn't move the needle over existing options. What about Mateo for one year of Sonny Gray? Not enough for us? Maybe add one of Canterino/Varland/Festa?

[Edit - Ignore this comment. I was wrong about Mateo's service (he has three years left)]

Mateo for Gray seems like a pretty even 1 for 1 to me. One of the things folks seem to be forgetting is that Mateo is only under contract for one more season so he's essentially a one year rental (just like Gray would be). That's why I like the idea of targeting a "help us win now" type of SP in a trade as opposed to very low level prospects.

Edited by HakunaSakata

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Mateo for Gray seems like a pretty even 1 for 1 to me. One of the things folks seem to be forgetting is that Mateo is only under contract for one more season so he's essentially a one year rental (just like Gray would be). That's why I like the idea of targeting a "help us win now" type of SP in a trade as opposed to very low level prospects.

Mateo has 3 years of service time left.  I don’t think Twins trade Gray as they are in win now mode.   Mateo is a win now move for them.   

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo has 3 years of service time left.  I don’t think Twins trade Gray as they are in win now mode.   Mateo is a win now move for them.   

Whoops. That's my mistake and that certainly changes things. Agree with your other comment about him being worth more than Gray. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Whoops. That's my mistake and that certainly changes things. Agree with your other comment about him being worth more than Gray. 

I didn’t say that.  Mateo for Gray would be something to consider for us.  I don’t think the Twins would do it.   

Well, 3 years of service if his Club wants to tender him.    50 SB could become a lot of Arb money if he still can't hit.

Correa drama certainly helps, and bends the idea the 30 best shortstops mostly find the 30 teams any given summer.

I wouldn't mind Tyler Rogers from SFG to give an underhand look, and maybe see if that'd help Taylor Rogers get sentimental.     Whatever transaction happens, it'll feel more natural if its exchanging present Wins.    

Trying to squeak into the playoffs for the first time, you probably have to try your hardest all year.    I hope that's a lesson learned from 2022, even if OMAR is once again saying...

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

LOL, but they've made it to the World Series four times since 2000 so there's that. 

Won't be a 5th for a long while. Their manager is more interested in politics, minor league system has 2 players, most of others have dropped, and their prospects in the big's have flopped. Poor San Fran....

1 hour ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Won't be a 5th for a long while. Their manager is more interested in politics, minor league system has 2 players, most of others have dropped, and their prospects in the big's have flopped. Poor San Fran....

I'm far from being the biggest Kapler supporter/fan, but I'm certainly not going to criticize him for being against school shootings/children dying. I'm also curious if I get flagged for this comment when almost an entire thread where two posters in particular trolled and engaged everyone in a completely irrelevant argument about Trevor Bauer's innocence was allowed to continue/exist. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Well, 3 years of service if his Club wants to tender him.    50 SB could become a lot of Arb money if he still can't hit.

Correa drama certainly helps, and bends the idea the 30 best shortstops mostly find the 30 teams any given summer.

I wouldn't mind Tyler Rogers from SFG to give an underhand look, and maybe see if that'd help Taylor Rogers get sentimental.     Whatever transaction happens, it'll feel more natural if its exchanging present Wins.    

Trying to squeak into the playoffs for the first time, you probably have to try your hardest all year.    I hope that's a lesson learned from 2022, even if OMAR is once again saying...

Moving Brandon Crawford to 3B for Correa is one thing.  Doing it for Mateo might be another.   That's two weak sticks on the left side.

Edited by RZNJ

Do you consider trading Jorge Mateo?
The subject came up again when The Athletic reported that the Orioles “began receiving inquiries” on Mateo after the Cubs signed Dansby Swanson, the last of the big four shortstops on the market.

Here’s where I traditionally tap the brakes. Listening isn’t the same as peddling. Of course, teams are checking on his availability. Of course, Mike Elias is answering his phone.

Make him an offer and he’ll decide how to react, knowing that the position is in trustworthy hands if Mateo stays and there are other options if he goes, with Gunnar Henderson and Ramón Urías two possibilities and the Triple-A roster holding Joey Ortiz and Jordan Westburg.

It’s not like the Orioles would demand a shortstop in return or have to go on a shortstop search. They’d be dealing from a position of strength.

Mateo proved to be a plus defender, as noticed by the Fielding Bible, and he led the American League in steals. Bigger bases and pickoff restrictions make him a larger threat next season. And he’s affordable.

Good reasons why teams are calling. Good reasons to hold onto him, with Henderson being the primary third baseman and Urías taking his Gold Glove to second or hauling it around the infield.

Maybe put it on wheels.

Whether you’d trade Mateo probably hinges on the return, but I’m asking if you’d consider it or just plan on having him in the Opening Day lineup.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/two-more-questions-for-the-front-office