Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe they had a press conference for him.  Lol

I can. Did you see our Sunday lineups last year. Especially the last 1/3rd of the season. We were begging to be no hit. 

McCann was a sneaky pickup that just needed to get back to AL. Don’t underrate guys that have big years in one league then struggle learning a whole new league. That will also help us pitch calling too. 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t believe they had a press conference for him.  Lol

I'm not surprised at all.  The guy is a respected veteran and former All Star.  It would be disrespectful not to present him to the media.  I'm sure other teams do the same for similar trades or signings.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm not surprised at all.  The guy is a respected veteran and former All Star.  It would be disrespectful not to present him to the media.  I'm sure other teams do the same for similar trades or signings.

I agree with this. Why wouldn't you hold a press conference? He's going to be an integral member of the team even if he's not in the lineup everyday. It's a small sacrifice they can do to help push for a player buying into the system and improving clubhouse chemistry and helping everyone get on board with winning. 

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Does he really need this at this point in his career?

Well of course not.  But if I am the GM I am telling him I can see up to 80 games and see him really having a huge impact as a leader.

But going from starter on a WS team to back up on a scrappy maybe playoff team is a big change even if he is still getting paid.

Making him comfortable and valuable and valued will go a long way towards aiding in that transition.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Well of course not.  But if I am the GM I am telling him I can see up to 80 games and see him really having a huge impact as a leader.

But going from starter on a WS team to back up on a scrappy maybe playoff team is a big change even if he is still getting paid.

Making him comfortable and valuable and valued will go a long way towards aiding in that transition.

Why would you tell him he could get into 80 games? Why would you even remotely want that?

I think sometimes with zoom they have more of these type of interviews than years ago.

Not like this was some presser in person at the stadium. The technology exists to do it and it gives the Orioles media a chance to ask some questions. 

My guess many teams do this now. I don’t think they had a jersey unveiling for him. 

• Upvote 2